Cancelling Cable

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barkomatic, Sep 9, 2009.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have decided that the price I pay for cable to Time Warner is ridiculous. My bill is $152 a month and $111 of that is the cable portion. I have a few favorite HBO programs but paying this much to watch a few shows is insane. At other times, the TV is just background noise while I'm on my computer. I'm going to keep the internet which will rise to $48 without the "bundle" but dump everything else and go back to using an amplified antenna to get TV. I've already bought an indoor antenna and I'm surprised at how clear the reception is. It's just as clear as cable on my HDTV--maybe even sharper somehow. Of course, I only get the major networks but much of what I watched on cable were network shows. I'm hoping that between Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes that I should be fine without cable. In my adult life, I've never used an antenna for TV and practically forgot that stations actually broadcast their programs for free.

Has anyone else here ditched cable? Any tips? The only thing about going with the antenna is that I don't get my local PBS station which has "Antiques Roadshow" (don't judge!)

2. MoleSkine macrumors member

Hey Hey fellow Brooklynite - I dropped my cable service from Cablevision 2 months ago. It was crazy, I was paying $130 for essentially only watching CNN and what Animal Planet once in a while...So I cancelled it but allowed them to leave channels 100-something so that I can watch BBC and some other networks aruond that dial - for $10/month. Besides I can go on CNN.com and read the news and watch Larry King all I want.

My bill in general is now reduced about $50 and its great. Anything Im interested in watching I can usually find on internet next day. I also no longer sit and stare at TV screen because I have nothing much to watch except ch. 2-11 and 100 - 170 (nothing imrpessive there either).

I wasnt ever hooked on any shows - and honestly its a relief that im not paying that much money for generally watching 2 or 3 cable channels.

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Oddly, I just went the other direction. After I moved last summer (2008), I never bothered to get any kind of TV service. Using the methods you listed, I had no problems. I didn't even have an antenna. I watched the major network shows on Hulu or on their respective sites.

Last month, I had DirecTV installed, mostly due to sports. I'm a huge football fan, and watching live sports was a major pain. I tried ESPN360, but it was unwatchable, and they tended to blackout my favorite team. I finally decided that while the local sports bar was entertaining, it was terribly expensive. I got the mid-level DirecTV package, and with discounts plus friend referral ($10/month for 10 months), I'm paying around $40/month. That's with no DVR or HD service. I figured it was worth it. If you aren't a sports fan, it's totally doable.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Funny, I stumbled upon this thread, I have direct-tv and I was thinking of canceling them in lieu of comcast. After running the numbers, I'd be spending 50 dollars more a month for less channels.

Looks like I'll stick with direct-tv for now - the wife hates it because whenever a storm hits we lose tv reception.

5. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Do you use an antenna? I was just wondering if if would be worth to get an outdoor antenna. I'd like to get Channel 13 but my indoor antenna can't quite bring it in. All the other networks come in very sharp though.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Have you given any consideration to quitting TV altogether?

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Now now Signal, just relax. There's no need to get crazy here.

8. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I don't even understand the nature of the question...

9. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Baby steps, baby steps. . . :)

I feel good about this. When I would go home I'd just plop in front of the TV and surf channels, watch little bits of programs most of which I was not that interested in or had seen before. I think I was in media overload. Netflix, internet, cable TV, iTunes, Hulu are just too many choices. I want to read again and I've got my eye on a good book.

Of course, after a month I could be screaming in pain for my cable again and running to Time Warner with my tail between my legs, but I hope not.

The one problem with my plan is if Time Warner decides at some point to impose caps to keep people from viewing videos online. I don't *think* they are doing that now, but I can imagine they might be tempted if too many people cancel their cable subscriptions.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    YOU HAVE A TAIL?!

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Did the same thing due to grad school and eliminating many expenses.

I just cancelled altogether. Then when we settled in I got internet only for 20 a month.

Took a little bit to get used to, but between free over the air tv, apple tv, hulu and "other" avenues, I don't miss it much.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If it weren't for sports, I would have killed cable awhile ago.

13. morgothaod macrumors regular

I think I could do without tv. But internet on the other hand...

14. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm keeping the internet--and I'm not exactly giving up TV--just cable TV. I'm going to miss True Blood -- and am holding onto cable service until the season finale on Sunday. However, I found out the new season won't premiere until next summer anyway--that makes it easier for me.

15. illidian macrumors 6502

Hulu + ESPN360 does it for me.

There are a few shows that I'd watch on cable that I don't now, but it's not a big deal. I could buy them on iTunes, but I spend enough time watching television shows without it.

The convenience of watching a one-hour episode of television whenever I want in 45 minutes is great.