Cancelling Contract with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theironist08, Jun 22, 2009.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I live in Ireland, however I'm over in California on holidays. I want to buy a 3GS and bring it home.
    Whats the cheapest way around this?
    Is there any major difficulties which I may encounter doing this?
    Thanks in advance,

2. arykmax macrumors regular

You can keep it for 30 days and pay the ETF. If you cancel before 30 days, they will charge you the full price of the phone.

3. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

You'll also need a US social security number and credit card (with US billing address) in order to buy.

In addition, if you have no credit history, or bad credit then you will probably have to put down several hundred as a deposit (I forget the usual amount, but its not insignificant).

Plus, the phone itself will be locked to AT&T - you won't be able to use it on another carrier.

Too be honest, your cheapest/easiest option is likely to wait till you get home and get a subsidized phone and contract with O2.

4. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the quick replys! i have a social security number and credit card set up already. i dont understand the deposit thing, is it on the phone or is it a deposit saying that i'll stay on att? i was planning on cancelling the contract after 30 days and paying the ETF, is it still $175? i read somewhere that if you move to somewhere outside of att's network you can cancell the contract for free, is this true? i wouldnt mind joining o2 in Ireland as a last resort but it is so much cheaper over here!

5. xcrunxc macrumors newbie

Your phone will still be locked to AT&T, even if you cancel your contract and go back to Ireland with it.

6. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

The deposit is on the phone+contract - for those with poor/no credit history. It seems the average amount is $200-500.

Its AT&T's way of protecting themselves if you stop paying the bills. Usually folks get it back 6 to 12 months into the contract. Not sure what happens to it on cancellation.

If you move and it is to an area with no AT&T coverage, then they often waive the ETF, however this is only applicable if you move somewhere in the US.

7. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i know it will but im sure there will be a 3gs unlock within the next week!