Cancelling iPhone 5 order Apple.com time before upgrade resets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Looon, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

How long after I cancel an iPhone 5 order with Apple.com would my upgrade status reset to eligible? The local best buy has them in stock and my wait is still october 24-30 for the online order so I'd rather just get it now if possible

Sorry if this has been discussed I didn't know what to type into the search to have it come up without looking through a thousand posts

2. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

Almost instantly. Recently did same thing for myself and brother.

3. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Apple CR's say 24 hrs, but some say its instant, others say it can take a bit. Hit or miss.

4. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I've called apple today twice. One person said 24hrs. Second said 48. 24 will be up for me in 50 min and in still waiting.

5. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

Keep us posted

6. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

On AT&T dial *639# to check. I've been checking about every 30 min hoping I can try and snag a 32 gb phone tonight.

7. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

8. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

It just took less than 2 hours for mine, you should contact them and see what's going on.

9. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

10. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

Still waiting here. About 34 hrs in. Starting to get a little annoyed. AT&T said they can't do anything until apple does. Apple said they canceled my order so now it's in AT&T court.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

if apple cancelled your order, then it is on at&t.

12. bobswika macrumors newbie

AT&T let me pay full price for the phone and then when my upgrade was reset after about 24hrs I went back to the store and they refunded me the difference so that I got the phone for the fully subsidized price. This at least allowed me to get the phone prior to my upgrade being reset.

I did this because I had a deliver date in October but my local AT&T store has some in stock on the first day they were available.

13. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

Called AT&T again and it's been reversed in the system but won't go through. The are getting a supervisor to get it done now. Hopefully this will work.

14. OCS12 macrumors member

I'm going through this problem as well right now. After some loooooooooong conversations with Apple's customer service and with AT&T's customer service, here's what I know.

Cancelling backorders once or twice seems to clear your upgrade eligibility in just a few minutes. But if you're like me, you've cancelled several times after giving up hope of waiting out the back order. You end up flagged in AT&T's system. When that happens, AT&T is telling me 3-5 days to clear things up, even though the goobers at Apple told me 24 hours. It's been 31 hours so far, and my upgrade option still hasn't shown back up, so I'm believing the AT&T folks.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That makes sense though. That is similar to someone who constantly returns things

16. OCS12 macrumors member

I agree. I was actually very polite and understanding while dealing with AT&T on this. I certainly don't deny that I look a bit flakey in their minds right now. :rolleyes: They totally understood what was going on, and even said it's extremely common at the moment due to customers continuously trying different ways to get an iPhone 5 without the long wait. They basically flag the account as a possible fraud issue until someone can review the account to see why so much activity took place within such a short window of time. It takes two previous cancellations within a 30 day window to trigger the alert.

17. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

This must be my problem. Retuned my first phone for a refund after it was nicked up out of the box and so was my exchange. Then ordered a 16 but cancelled so I can get a 32 instead. I was very nice too. I know I started the mess :)

18. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

A update for those that care. Yesterday AT&T told me they would get my upgrade back in 30 min after I called. 5 hours later I called back and they said it would be 72 hrs. Still no upgrade. I guess Ill be waiting another day.

19. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Mine was done instantly on Thursday over the phone.