Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Has anyone had any luck cancelling IUP and getting a refund for what they paid because of numerous warranty replacements?

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I thought it was a long shot because of having a lot of similar issues with call reception and hissing on multiple devices. Long shot approach would be taking back a used phone, closing out the loan, and offering $ back in a refund on my card? Or could they just cancel out the loan and I walk away with losing my already paid out installments?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I thought it was a long shot because of having a lot of similar issues with call reception and hissing on multiple devices. Long shot approach would be taking back a used phone, closing out the loan, and offering $ back in a refund on my card? Or could they just cancel out the loan and I walk away with losing my already paid out installments?

The latter seems to be more likely, but still incredibly unlikely. You would probably need to go into the store and ask them first hand. If you return the device, they forgive the rest of the loan, and you eat what you already paid, they really aren't out anything. You are just "trading" in early, as if you were going to once the new phone comes out. I would ask the store and speak with a manager. Them refunding what you already paid won't happen because you have used the device.

Reactions: Applejuiced

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
The latter seems to be more likely, but still incredibly unlikely. You would probably need to go into the store and ask them first hand. If you return the device, they forgive the rest of the loan, and you eat what you already paid, they really aren't out anything. You are just "trading" in early, as if you were going to once the new phone comes out. I would ask the store and speak with a manager. Them refunding what you already paid won't happen because you have used the device.

So the best thing to do is sell my phone and pay off the loan then?

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Pretty much. Then you might be able to recoup some of what you already paid.

That's a definite consideration. Problem is that there aren't many good phones available now that hold a candle to the 7+ at least for my usage. I am thinking about holding onto the 7+ still to trade for the 8/8+ at T-Mobile. I am kicking myself for selling my old 6S Plus rather than hold onto it to trade it in for free 2 yr contract 7+ (bill credit style).

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
That's a definite consideration. Problem is that there aren't many good phones available now that hold a candle to the 7+ at least for my usage. I am thinking about holding onto the 7+ still to trade for the 8/8+ at T-Mobile. I am kicking myself for selling my old 6S Plus rather than hold onto it to trade it in for free 2 yr contract 7+ (bill credit style).

Then keep the iPhone 7? What exactly is your problem - in the nicest of ways? You're complaining because you've had a few dud units and had to get them replaced (for free!) and you also have Apple Care for any other issues that might come up, and you only have to keep the phone for 11 months?

Just hold on to the phone, dude, and be happy and at peace with yourself.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Has anyone had any luck cancelling IUP and getting a refund for what they paid because of numerous warranty replacements?
Bare in mind AppleCare + is included in your monthly price. If you cancel AppleCare + they'll refund you the pro-rata value, but it'll come off the balance you owe. At least that's how it works in the U.K.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Bare in mind AppleCare + is included in your monthly price. If you cancel AppleCare + they'll refund you the pro-rata value, but it'll come off the balance you owe. At least that's how it works in the U.K.

You can't cancel AC+ while the 'loan' is still open. After you pay off the device, you can then cancel AC+ and they will mail you a check. AC+ is required while IUP is active (at least in the US). Very surprised its not the same in the UK.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
You can't cancel AC+ while the 'loan' is still open. After you pay off the device, you can then cancel AC+ and they will mail you a check. AC+ is required while IUP is active (at least in the US). Very surprised its not the same in the UK.
In the U.K. You can cancel applecare+ anytime you want (they can't force you to keep an insurance product) but if you do cancel AppleCare, you forfeit the ability to upgrade after 11 months. I've done this myself this month since my carrier offered something more lucrative on upgrade, and it didn't make sense to keep paying a fortune to apple as well. I did have to sell the device to pay the rest of the agreement however.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
In the U.K. You can cancel applecare+ anytime you want (they can't force you to keep an insurance product) but if you do cancel AppleCare, you forfeit the ability to upgrade after 11 months. I've done this myself this month since my carrier offered something more lucrative on upgrade, and it didn't make sense to keep paying a fortune to apple as well. I did have to sell the device to pay the rest of the agreement however.

Apple offers that already in the US. Same monthly payments (minus the AC+ cost) but you can't upgrade yearly. So its not really IUP anymore. AC+ is required for IUP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.