Cancelling my pre-order....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fr0stie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. fr0stie macrumors newbie

....was the best decision I made in the past two weeks!

I had pre-ordered through at&t 45 mins after midnight (PST) because apple was down. Got confirmation of 10/2-10/13 delivery. Was in backorder h-e double hockey sticks for two weeks. Waking up everyday hoping to see an email from at&t or an order status change. NADA.

Sure I could have waited one more day, HOPING that they would ship the first of the seven possible days for delivery, but the anger inside me just reached a boiling point. In fact, when I went to Apple to see if I could snag a 6+ without reservation, the apple genius told me that my first problem was ordering from at&t. So I physically went to an at&t store to cancel my order. The minute the words "iphone 6" came out of my mouth, the manager told me that they won't be available til end of November. Then I proceeded to tell him that I already ordered but now wishes to cancel. He looked up my order, saw that I placed the order on the 12th and was SHOCKED that I still haven't gotten it yet. YUP, exactly why I wanted to cancel. So he called this number (8662674510) and had them reversed my upgrade. Half an hour later, I was out the door like a pre-order virgin.

Woke up the next day, checked all surrounding apple store's stock (seaturtle.org/idevice and actually trying to reserve through apple store app/site) and when one became available, I purchased. Got the confirmation email in 8 minutes (8 MINUTES!!!!!!!) that it was ready for pick up. Luckily, my husband was nice enough to pick it up for me on his way home from work. :) He said there was a line out the door, and when he asked what that line was for, they said it was walk-ins trying to get their hands on an iphone. YIKES!!!

So, moral of my story... if your patience has run out, cancel and do a store pick up if you are able to. Sure you can wait it out to see if you get it in a few days, but I think I saw one member actually saying his/her dates got PUSHED BACK!!!!! Not to mention that all these apple stores are getting shipments in on a daily and immediately selling out, I can't imagine they would stop that to fill other carrier's inventory (just the feeling I got when I spoke with all these apple and at&t employees).

Good luck to all in obtaining one, one way or another. I'm finally a happy camper!

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Congrats! Crazy how long the AT&T wait seems to be.

:apple:

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Delivery dates had been getting bumped up in weekly batches, but now it looks like some are actually getting pushed back. It's gotta be some kind of shipping snafu between the US and China.

5. Monica1555 macrumors newbie

I also canceled my preorder after 2 weeks of frustration . Went to Apple.com saw two stores in my area had iphone 6+ 64 gb in stock. I ordered online then picked up a few hours later!

6. fr0stie thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered/cancelled/got the 128g gold plus. I tried to load a pic of my iphone box with the order date (oct1) sticker on it but my phone was in mid-back up.

7. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

You made a wise decision based on my conversation at an AT&T store yesterday. I stopped by to see if I could exchange my 16gb iphone 6 for a 64gb. I was told I would have to just return my phone and go on a TWO MONTH waiting list. There were at least two dozen customers in there trying to get a new iPhone and all were told AT&T stores are simply getting no shipments period.

We are two hours from an Apple Store.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

A lot of stores are starting to get stock these days and scalping prices are plummeting even in Asia which should lower scalping demand in the coming week or two.

I'd recommend anyone who really wants one should cancel preorders and keep an eye on surrounding stores, especially if the ship date is November or later.

I bet by November 1 you'll be able to walk in and buy any model at an Apple Store or a major retailer. No need to wait for Thanksgiving or later for mail delivery!

9. gmikesell macrumors regular

I was in the same boat. I finally cancelled my preorder as well and found a phone in stock at a local store just sitting there waiting to be purchased and picked up. Imagine my surprise when I learned that if you are trying to purchase on the AT&T Next plan, you can't order for pickup but rather, have to place an order and wait for arrival.:mad:

10. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Exactly! Unless you open a new account, add a line, have an upgrade available and do a two yr contract, you can't do an In store pickup :(

11. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster