Cancelling Pre Order and Hoping for In Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meyer1131, Sep 12, 2016.

1. meyer1131 macrumors regular

Anyone with a further out shipping date considering cancelling their pre order and scooping one in store once Apple continues the reserve and pickup? Another option is scooping from Best Buy/ Target/ etc. in person?

I had a VZW rep pre order my mom and I the 7plus Jet black 128 gb (I was out of the country on travel) and we were expecting to have it shipped in the first batch but were told our dates were from the middle of October.

I know this is a common occurrence, but I am considering just keeping that pre order live until I can try and reserve for in store, or scoop it somewhere locally.

Thoughts?

2. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I ordered a matte black 256gb 7 - it's supposedly going to be in my hands on launch day.

I'm going to go to the ATT store on my lunch break and see if I can snag a plus, but if not, I'll stay on my regular 7. I was on the fence as to which one to buy anyway and this will make my decision for me.

3. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

There is almost no reason to cancel the pre-order until you actually get a phone on launch day in store (if you can manage to.) I would either try to get in store, and if successful, cancel my pre-order then or refund it. Use your pre-order as back-up. It is completely unreliable to expect to pick up the exact model that you want in store on day one.

4. bhall110 macrumors regular

Until I can reserve a 7+ 256 jet black I'm not doing anything with my pre order.

5. comptr macrumors 68000

don't cancel your pre-order instead wait in line, so that if you are able to get one then cancel your pre-order.

6. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

Right i wouldnt cancel my pre order til I had one in hand, but just curious if others will be trying to find one in stores or just letting their pre order work itself out.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I'm sure a lot of people will be trying, 7 Plus Jet Black is by far the most scare model and will be the toughest to get. so your preorder may come faster then you can find it.

8. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I have a pre-order this year that's supposed to arrive after Sept 27th.

I'm going to try at my T-Mobile store. For the 6, I walked in and walked out with a new phone without waiting in line or pre-ordering. In fact, I was the first person to purchase the phone at that store by sheer coincidence. Always worth a shot. Call all the stores in your area to see if any of them have stock.

9. judahde macrumors member

I'm was debating whether to go to the Delaware Apple Store for the Plus on the 16th, but it will more than likely be a waste of time. A check of this link won't allow any reservation for the Plus in any color. The 7 can be reserved.

Ordered both a 7 and 7 Plus (both matte black) in the wee hours of the 9th. Couldn't even order until 12:20 PST on either iOS Apple Store app or web page. Ordered the Plus first and got an estimated delivery date of Oct 4th-10th. Second order for the 7 shows delivery on the 16th. So the Plus has much greater demand (or less supply).

10. bobTX10 macrumors member

Quick question. I pre ordered my phone but wanted to go to the apple store early on the 16th and get one. If I am lucky enough to get one, will the people at apple be able to cancel my preorder there so that my line can be eligible again?

11. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

To me, trying to buy one on launch day would be a tad difficult, no?
    No just your time to do it, but the stress levels, too. I personally wouldn't...

12. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

You know what seriously annoys me? People who order colors they don't want and return them because they don't want to wait. Seriously? Do you know how many people could have had phones on launch day if you wouldn't do stuff like that? Order what color you want! And if you have to wait so be it. I haven't even ordered yet and I'm already irritated by all the people that do this.

13. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

I ordered a 7 Plus Jet Black 128GB. I also got a late delivery date (October 4- October 10) and the store didn't load for me till 12:09.

I am not going to wait in line on launch day because that would probably involve waiting close to 20 hours and still no guarantee of a phone.

But I will be checking the "Reserve For Pickup" option. The problem is, once you find a phone that you like that is available, say on the 17th, when reservations open, I don't think you will be able to reserve if it you have a pre-order open. That's my concern. I want to cancel my pre-order because I don't want the system to tell me to wait 24 hours to purchase a phone. I'm paying in full so not sure how long it would take the system to update to let me purchase a phone.

This is because a phone may be available in a 10 min window if you are fast on the 17th online and you can reserve it. But you probably need to have your preorder canceled a day in advance. I'm pretty sure that is what will happen but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I am considering searching for a local one on launch day as well, but I want the elusive Jet Black, so who knows if I'll have any luck.

I am considering either upgrading to the 256GB or switching to the matte black. I will decide on Friday.

15. elistan macrumors 6502a

So I pre-ordered with shipping, and had a delivery date of Sep 26-28. Then I saw my local Apple store showed availability on the 16th, so I cancelled the first pre-order and submitted a second order with local pickup on the 16th. Everything on my order indicates I'll be getting the phone Friday. How does that differ from the Reserve & Pick Up program? Is it because I've actually ordered and put in payment info, rather than simply reserving to be paid for in-store?

16. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Which one showed in store for your area?

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple is likely to have plenty of iPhones in the stores. They had a pretty good supply last year.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

True enough, but will they get any Jet Black? That is the question.

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

I ordered AT&T iP 7 silver 32GB. Apple's page still shows Fri Sep 16 pickup availability for that model. (Many other models show "Currently unavailable" for pickup. This is at the Apple store in Boulder. All of the 7+ models say "Visit an Apple Retail Store starting Sep 16" for pickup status. So only the 7 can be reserved I guess? I didn't notice that detail in the MacRumors article.

20. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Guys that woke up in the middle of the night and pre-ordered...

Please live with your choice.

Wait until your phone gets shipped.

Don't head to the stores and suck up twice the stock.

;)

21. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

That entirely depends on what city you are talking about. NYC had lines of 1000 - 4000+ people at every store in Manhattan. Supply was short of every make and model possible. Thanks god they are including China in the first wave. The scalpers were a huge headache.

22. comptr macrumors 68000

Well I my original pre-order from verizon for my Jet back 7+ 256 was the 25th of this month but since I was upgrading 2 other lines too and on those lines I was using the verizon trade in promo and was not told to pay of the lines first. I had to cancel the pre-order and re-order the Phones so my Phone now wont come till November 5th, so I am for sure going to stand in line at a apple store hoping they get enough inventory.

23. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

my VZW Jet black was going to arrive in November so I have cancelled and pre ordered online through apple with a shiopping date of oct 7-13, my plan is to cancel and do a reserve in store pickup