Candle wax on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scarlet Fever, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I blew out a candle too violently, and drops of candle wax went on the keyboard case, display bezel, and display. I've cleaned off the best of it using water and a microfibre cloth, but there is still a thin layer of wax on the display, and some on the keyboard.

Any ideas how to get it off?

Once it's off, I think i'll spend the money and get a display protector :p

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yikes...

It's a different story when you can Warm it Up again to make it "removable"... I know on Fabric it is suggested to lay some Cloth (old towel) and Newspaper on the item and Heat w/ an Iron as Low as Possible to Melt Wax... the Towel will "SOAK" it up slowly from other item if not too "attached"...

For a Plastic item (Macbook, not Pro) I would first ask Apple :apple: Help Site but if you could "spill" some on another surface and then try some chemicals on that before Computer you may find some viable Options!! On Plastic you should also be able to "Polish" it out, as it will break down with Friction... not sure on Plastic Screen surface though... Sorry..

Hope it goes better!! :eek:

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I was thinking something along these lines. Instead of an iron though, heat up a metallic object (maybe a spoon or something) on the stove just so that its warm enough to melt the wax through a bit of paper towel. Try at your own risk though. :D

4. pinktank macrumors 6502

5. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Try one of those magic erasers. I use them to clean my MacBook. Seems to get rid of most things.
    But don't use it on the screen! I don't have any advice for that one actually :(

6. Readma macrumors newbie

For the screen i would suggest using a warm damp microfibre cloth. Basically use hot water and make sure you ring it out properly. Use small slow circular motions, rinse and repeat. The warm water is the key factor so make sure the cloth doesnt get too cold or it will stop working.

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I like this one best...

I believe the Concept of "Hot enough to Melt Wax, but not so Hot as to Melt Plastic" should serve you well....

Hope it is progressing since last night!!

Good luck again... Keep us in the Loop here please, Bob :eek:

8. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

*bit of thread revival*

That did the trick. Thanks! :)