Candles causing screen issues.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Leotno, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. Leotno macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #1
    Hey people, so I bought my 27 i7 iMac on Sept, 29 2010. Then last week I got this problem.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    As you can see, I have burn marks/smears on my iMac.
    I saw in another thread here that other people have had the same problem.
    They told me, they took the glass off and it was actually on the LCD screen, they smelled incense on the iMac and blamed it on candle fumes. Apparently the iMac sucked up the candle fumes through the bottom and the fans blew it onto the LCD and it discolored the LCD screen. They said it was my fault but will replace it only once and if I go back with the problem in the future then they wouldn't be able to help.

    My question is, for you people that have had the same problem, do you guys have candles in your room? Can this really happen?
     
  2. talkindrum macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    #2
    Yes this can happen, i used to live with smokers in my last apt. My brand new
    imac started getting a gray area in the upper left corner, i took it to the genius
    bar and was told it was due to smoke. However i was told that the smoke was
    actually on the backside of the glass...so i try to keep the imac in a clean,
    dust, smoke free room
     
  3. LoCarbHotrod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    #3
    I was actually going to take my iMac to the Apple store tomorrow for this exact reason. I smoke cigars AND burn candles (to cover the stench); I hope they don't tell me they can't replace it, as I didn't know that an occasional stogie could ruin my screen. Guess I'll have to smoke somewhere else from now on.

    @talkindrum

    Did they replace your screen or where you able to clean it? If I can take of the glass and clean it myself, that would be great; I'm not very excited about the 30 mile drive and lugging my iMac through the mall... :-(
     
  4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

    Stealthipad

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #4
    Burning candles in your living area is BAD! Too much unburned carbon is admitted and what you see on your screen is only one of the effects. You should see what it does to your lungs!:mad:

    Do yourself a favor and do not burn candles in your house! :rolleyes:
     
  5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

    MacHamster68

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #5
    and no open fires please ,as it to emits smoke and the effect is the same as candles it will harm your Mac ,especially the iMac's with the glas front , on the older iMac's no problem just wipe it off the display every week, as the old matte displays are not that sensible, not to mention the eMac and iMac G3 where you can really clean the display with cheap washing up liquid
     
  6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

    DewGuy1999

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #6
    There was a news story a few years ago that many of the wicks used in candles were imported (from China I believe) and contained lead, when burnt the lead was vaporized and released into the air, contributing to lead poisoning of the occupants. Just another reason not to burn them.
     

Share This Page