Candy Bar Alternative

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Is there any way to change the dashboard icon and the Finder icon without purchasing Candy Bar? I know how to change every other application's icons but not the Finder, Dashboard, and Empty/Full Trash

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
if you wanna change the icons manually you can by going to the following locations of defaulted icons.

First most system icons are in the coretypes bundle which is located at the following path:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle (ctrl click to open the contents)

(this should work) The empty trash and the dashboard icons and the finder icon that is in the dock are found inside the dock.app itself:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/

dashboard.png
finder.png
trashempty.png
trashfull.png

For changing the actual application icons for the finder you have to change the Finder.icns inside the Finder.app and likewise location in the Dashboard.app.

You will have to reset the dock icon cache (/Library/Caches/com.apple.dock.iconcache.501), or logout and in or kill the dock process. Hope that helps, hope that works.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
You can do it manually, like Benjamin said, but I would strongly encourage getting Candybar. It makes icon switching a breeze, and even if you don't mess with your icons all that often, it is well worth it...

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
ham_man said:
You can do it manually, like Benjamin said, but I would strongly encourage getting Candybar. It makes icon switching a breeze, and even if you don't mess with your icons all that often, it is well worth it...
I second that, it's so much easier, and allows you to change everything at once if needed, using an iContainer, some of which are brilliant.

::20ROGERSC::