Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CBS has ordered mobile gaming app Candy Crush Saga to series as a one-hour, live action game show from executive producer Matt Kunitz, who's also been behind shows like Wipeout and Fear Factor. Images or an official debut for the show have yet to be announced by CBS or Candy Crush Saga developer King.

A few details hint that the game at the center of the adaptation will feature teams of two individuals who must use mental strategy and physicality "to compete on enormous, interactive game boards featuring next generation technology." The winning teams will "be crowned as champions," but prizes -- monetary or otherwise -- have also yet to be divulged.

candy-crush-saga-800x500.jpg
"We are huge fans of Candy Crush and, like so many others, we know the 'rush' of advancing to the next level of the game," said Glenn Geller, President, CBS Entertainment. "We're excited to work with Lionsgate and King to adapt one of the world's most popular and entertaining game franchises for television and make it available to its massive, passionate fan base who can watch and play along at home."
Kunitz mentioned that the Candy Crush franchise "lends itself perfectly to the kind of larger-than-life, physical game shows that I love to produce." CBS and King are working closely with the interactive team at Lionsgate to oversee the transition of the Candy Crush IP from mobile game to television show, which Lionsgate Interactive Ventures and Games President Peter Levin calls "an exciting, visual switcher game with great characters" that should translate nicely into CBS's unscripted television division.

Although Pokémon Go recently bested Candy Crush Saga's daily active user records, King's game is now back at the top of the United States App Store top grossing charts. As of September 2016, 18 billion rounds of the game are played every month around the world. For the new game show, CBS said that more information, including who will host the series, is coming "at a later date."

Article Link: 'Candy Crush' Headed to CBS as a Live Action Game Show

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
I like live-action shows and movies about games and board games.

I want to see a live-action Candy Land film (Tim Burton style) I'm waiting on that Five Nights at Freddy's movie and I want to see a live-action Diner Dash movie.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I never touched this game... my understanding was it's basically a Bejewled clone.
That was my understanding too. Bejeweled was a great game. I despise free to play games. I never played Candy Crush. I still don't understand the appeal and figured it wasn't popular anymore.
[doublepost=1476821831][/doublepost]
Yeah only most people today never heard of Bejeweled and think Candy Crush was innovative.
I knew a lot of people who played this game and also knew about or played Bejeweled. Doesn't make any sense.
[doublepost=1476821890][/doublepost]
Do people actually still play Candy Crush Saga?
Saga. This reminds me, didn't they go around suing any company that used the word "Saga" in the name? And Candy? So dirty. Like no games ever used the words "candy" or "saga" in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
The game show that will last months for a single player. "You won the first round! Now you can either give back all the money you won to advance or wait 3 days to play round two."

The game is no different than pretty much any other 3 piece matching game, they were just the ones to figure out that they could break it down into levels and get people to pay in order to advance instead of waiting a ridiculous amount of time waiting for new levels. It took full advantage of the younger generation's "give me now" mentality.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yeah only most people today never heard of Bejeweled and think Candy Crush was innovative.

Yeah I've been enjoying Bejeweled as an occasional time waster going back to a Dell Axiom PocketPC a decade ago. I still play it on my iPhone, and I've had people ask what this is and it looks to them like a Candy Crush clone... They dont believe me when I say this was the original and Candy Crush crap is the clone...

For the record I never even tried Candy Crush...

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
That was my understanding too. Bejeweled was a great game. I despise free to play games. I never played Candy Crush. I still don't understand the appeal and figured it wasn't popular anymore.
[doublepost=1476821831][/doublepost]
I knew a lot of people who played this game and also knew about or played Bejeweled. Doesn't make any sense.
Agreed.

Also I done a survey at my University. 37 out of 100 students recognized Bejeweled while the others thought it was a Candy Crush knockoff.

Reactions: macduke

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Yeah I've been enjoying Bejeweled as an occasional time waster going back to a Dell Axiom PocketPC a decade ago.
:cool: I started playing Bejeweled in its first mobile incarnation, in glorious black & white, on the Palm III. Haven't played it much in the past decade, though my 5yo niece discovered it on my iPhone a while back and enjoyed it a lot on car trips (that is, until she found Pokémon Go).

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Yeah I've been enjoying Bejeweled as an occasional time waster going back to a Dell Axiom PocketPC a decade ago. I still play it on my iPhone, and I've had people ask what this is and it looks to them like a Candy Crush clone... They dont believe me when I say this was the original and Candy Crush crap is the clone...

For the record I never even tried Candy Crush...

If the Bejeweled devs were smart, they should sue Candy Crush for $8 trillion in patent/design/copyright infringement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.