CandyBar killed my system! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ToastMaster, May 9, 2007.

1. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

So I was using CandyBar to change my system icons, and for some reason, after I applied a few changes and it restarted finder and my dock, it somehow reset my system to factory settings... on everything! The dock was huge like when OSX is first installed, the background was the original picture, and none of my settings for applications and files were left.

In FireFox, my download folder has disappeared. My pictures folder has vanished. My music is gone. And when I went back into Candybar to see if changing the settings back to normal would solve my problem, it said that "no backups could be found for original icons."

I thought CandyBar was a good application! And at any rate, why would it erase so much of my system data like this? Help!

(Some Good news: I can get my music off my iPod with Senuti, and my photos might be on there too. However, I think that I'll probably reinstall OSX off the CD just to get it back to factory settings.)

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Look in the Users folder and see if your old User is still there.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You didn't happen to rename your Home folder, did you?

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

That scares me. I just started using candybar the other day. I was a little leery of letting a program do system-wide changes, even to icons, but I did. So far everything is ok.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

In the two years I have been using CandyBar it has NEVER EVER caused any problems.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've used Candybar many times before and never had any problems like this. I'm thinking the OP changed the name of their Home folder and just hadn't restarted the computer (or relaunched the Finder) since doing that...and since Candybar restarts the Finder automatically, that error would have reared its ugly head.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, that might have been it. A friend of mine did that once and it scared the hell out of him. :D

8. ToastMaster thread starter macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Yeah. Ok, so I DID rename my Home folder.

I found my missing stuff here. Thank you. Sorry, but I've only had my MBP for a year, and I still consider myself somewhat new to OSX. So when I renamed my Home folder, it thought that a new user was startint the computer and just put everything back to default for this "new user?"

9. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I use shapeshifter and i think its great. Do programs like these often cause problems? I don't want my mac getting mucked up. . .

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

In this case, Candybar wasn't the problem. Candybar just relaunched the Finder which made the problem visible.

Shapeshifter is slightly more insidious in what it does; to skin the system, it actually has to edit things while in RAM. That's a safer way to edit things than changing them on disk, but it can also cause general instability and sometimes odd behavior. That said, I have many friends that run Shapeshifter and they have little to no problems with it.