Candyshell Camera Cutout Inquiry

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by neoelectronaut, Nov 8, 2010.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

So I managed to find a White Candyshell for my iPhone 4 over the weekend at a local iPhone/iPod case retailer, but it has the "keyhole" cutout.

[​IMG]

I notice that the picture on Speck's website has a full "pill" shaped cutout like my Pixelskin HD. Is there a problem with the keyhole shape that they changed it?

In other words, should I bring this thing back before I even open it?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would definitely exchange it. I have the same case, but with the oval cutout. The problem with the keyhole was that it intereferred with the flash so the images looked washout when snapping a pic.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Agh dammit I figured that something like this would be the case. I was really hoping to have it for my trip this week too.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and settle for black, which I can find at an AT&T store.

I wonder if the fitted case my girlfriend bought simultaneously has the same issue.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Speck customer support is really great. Contact them and tell them your issue here and they'll send you out another one (assuming they have them in stock). That's what they did for me several times a couple months ago. The older versions of the cases have the keyhole cutout since it "looked nicer" however there are issues with this case, as well as most other cases out there, that have the keyhole cutout.

I usually got my replacement cases within a week so contact them and you can, at least, start the process with them. They might ask for some pics and maybe the receipt for the cases but, other than that, it's usually a painless process.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

They've changed the process. They're requesting that the cases be sent back now and then they send a new one. Not worth the hassle when you can go back to the store and just do a simple exchange.

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Sorry, I'm too late for this option. Plane is flying out on Thursday and I bought the iPhone specifically for the trip to take HD video. I'll have to see what I can find locally.

Edit: Problem is that the store didn't have any of the new cutout, so my only options is whatever the AT&T stores have.

7. sirslaysalot macrumors member

nah man, if its the first time you're doing an exchange, they'll send you a replacement without you having to send anything back (just did that for 2 defective pixelskin hds last friday). any subsequent exchanges require you to send the faulty case back. i still think its pretty good. it was actually wayy better before (when the case program had just been introduced) but then people started abusing the system by requesting replacements several times, so they changed it lol.

@op: try emailing speck for a replacement first. as long its the first time you're requesting a rma, they'll send you a replacement without any hassle. email them with a picture of your case and a receipt the first time so they send it out right away. good luck.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

haha..I guess then I, technically, abused the system. They kept sending me one wrong case after another so I kept asking them to send me the right case. I ultimately wound up with the 5 Speck cases, all of them with keyhole cutouts or completely wrong case. They finally sent me the correct case, Candyshell with oval cutout, after 6 attempts. They also sent me some screen protectors too. I wound up giving away all the other cases since I couldn't/didn't want to use them.

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

AT&T carries only one unisex color and that's the black/grey with the oval cutout otherwise they carry colors ladies would prefer.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I'm going with the black then, it seems.

Edit: I just don't trust the Pixelskin HD for drop protection...so I'll sacrifice color for proper phone protection for now.

I actually plan to loop a wriststrap onto the thing as well for when I'l taking pictures.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The Pixelskin provides decent drop protection, but the Candyshell is definitely a step above it.

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Well, going to Disney World for a week, plan on taking a bunch of pictures and videos, and I figure the Candyshell will be better than the Pixelskin for the trip, and I simply waited to long to pull the trigger on the purchase.

I discovered I'd be able to utilize a wrist strap by looping it through the speaker hole the other day, so I'm gonna use one of my extraneous Wii remote straps I have lying about.