Candyshell flaking issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Kelbidrome, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Kelbidrome macrumors newbie

Does the 3rd revision of the Speck Candyshell still have the flaking issue?

2. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

yep and it was favorite only case until this issue, 3 times. Now my favorite only case is the otterbox commuter.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I just received a Moonsickle one the other day and yes it does, but I deal with it. It's a dealbreaker for some, but not for me anymore. Long as it protects my i4 I'm cool with it.

5. Kelbidrome thread starter macrumors newbie

Might you have any pics of the so called flaking issue on the case?

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

No I don't, but some can be found in the Candyshell thread. It's basically the same effect as rubbing an eraser.

7. sirslaysalot macrumors member

i don't see how speck can remedy this without changing the material altogether. rubber + friction from taking it in and out of your pocket = flaking

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I never used the candy for my 3GS, how's the 3GS candy compared to the 4 candy?

9. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

They can't remedy it to be honest. I think as you said, they'd have to change the material. I don't know why they don't try making it with TPU like the Pixelskin HD. Have a pixelskin type interior, with a soft touch exterior, so it doesn't scratch.

10. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I've been emailing a friend of mine that works for Speck for over a year now about trying to get them to make a "soft touch/matte finish" back for the CandyShell, and they keep telling him that they will "take it under review". I really think that a soft touch back on it would make it the best case out there. I can't stand the feel of glossy backs, plus it would do away with the horrible scratching problem the glossy version has.

Added; The case that you are asking for (a TPU interior with a harder exterior) is the Incipio duroSHOT DRX. It's that exact same make-up.

11. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

Oh I know, I've seen it online, but my issue is the colors. I just prefer something different. For the Candyshell I have the IndiWhoa blue. I just don't like plain blacks/greys/whites is all. When they release the blue, I'll look into the Duroshot definitely.

12. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

It is supposed to be released in a blue color eventually. At least...when it was still listed as "coming soon", a blue color was listed. I'm with you though, I don't too much care for the black/grey combo.

13. AuroraProject, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Glad it's not just me. I have the white as well and I've yet to notice any flaking on mine. I also use a holster and take mine out of the holster quite a few times a day and all is well *knocks on wood*

15. Kelbidrome thread starter macrumors newbie