Cannabilising an old G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sjkimble, Aug 24, 2007.

1. sjkimble macrumors newbie

I found an old G3 for free and want to use the hard drive as an external hard drive. I'm guessing I could accomplish this one of two ways:

1. I'd prefer to find out how to make this G3 OS 9.1 and my PowerBook G4 OS 10.4.10. talk. Could I use Firewire and just leave the G3 in terminal mode? Holding down the T on reboot doesn't work on this machine. Is there some other trick for this?

2. Or, could I simply remove the hard drive? I would need something to supply power and convert the SCSI hard drive to Firewire or USB 2.0 to plug into my machine. Does anybody sell such a harness? The hard drive says Apple HDD Firmware 1998 9GB 3.5 inch SCSI. Made by IBM.

Thanks!

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

3. sjkimble thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Mr. Smurfboxmasta!

Didn't try using the G4 as the terminal because I want to use it as the primary. I did not know G3s won't do this trick so that was very hellpful.

Apple's support pages say to use an ethernet and tcp/ip i need a software router because G3s can only hold one IP. I can't find a free one, and neither can I get it onto the G3. It doesn't recognise the cd drive and the USB port doesn't seem to want to read my flash drive. The system profiler shows it being attached but I can't see an icon on the desktop or anywhere else for the drive. Maybe formatting or something? I thought about trying to reinstall the driver but again I can't get any files into the G3.

So ripping out the hard drive is starting to seem like the more prudent option. I found a SCSI-USB cable for an absurd $130 but I thought if could find a wiring diagram of the scsi port and cable I could get out the trusty soldering iron and connect the scsu cord directly from the hard drive directly to the USB port on the back of the machine. But I can't seem to find a wiring diagram online. Any suggestions? As for power, the power source in the fine.

Thanks

4. sjkimble thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

NOPE! plus it would be deadly slow if it worked! usb1.1?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. Only firewire. (or ethernet, WiFi...)