Cannibalism for Survival

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
After watching the film, Hunger (2009/I), I started wondering how many people would resort to cannibalism in order to survive.

If you want some background into the movie, five strangers awaken in an underground dungeon with no food. They soon learn they are the participants of one mans sadistic experiment to test how far people will go to survive, ultimately resorting to cannibalism.

So under which circumstances would you ever cannibalize someone to aid your survival?

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
So under which circumstances would you ever cannibalize someone to aid your survival?
Depends. I wouldn't hesitate long to eat someone who already died / got killed. I'd rather eat the body and survive than let the body go to waste and die myself. If it involves killing someone for food, that's a much tougher decision.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
Same as (Marc):
Eating might be ok before starving to death myself; killing before eating I'm not sure. But in all cases it must be really extreme and all spider, bugs and flowers are already eaten ...

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You never know , some might say "hell no" but of course they havent been in a situation like you describe.

Myself YES :) either if it was allready dead or i have to "make it dead".

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's true that when people are truly starving to death that the game changes. As it stands, being well fed and watered, I can say I would not be able to consume a fellow member of the human race, but if It was a do or die situation? I'm guessing most people (including myself) would.

Eating your best friend as the Argentine rugby player did..? That's a biggie.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Anyone is capable of anything, given the right circumstances and stimuli. In the movie scenario -- not that I've seen it -- I figure it'd just be a question of whose switch got flipped first. In a worldwide apocalypse? I'd eat you and everyone you've ever loved.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The one who is bitching the most about not having anything to eat is the first to go, as well as the fatties.

chordate68

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Check out the movie Alive.

This rugby team from Uruguay crashes in the Andes and have to make some interesting decisions.

One would need a very sharp knife to skin and clean the body and knowledge of basic anatomy.

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It depends - if I had to kill someone I couldn't do it, I'd just starve to death or they'd end up killing me lol. If someone happened to pass away before me and it was do or die then I'd probably give it a try. I would have to be literally dying of starvation though.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
This is an interesting topic for discussion, but the reality is nobody knows for sure what they would do if the situation go desperate enough.

I doubt any of us have ever gone without food more than a couple of days. My closest experience was 72 hours alone with a block of cheese and a water bottle on a survival course. I was hungry, but not desperately so. I spent most of the time just resting and conserving my energy. The guys who got all ambitious, setting snares and eating bugs, etc. were the ones who were in bad shape when the LandCruiser came to pick us up.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Pragmatically speaking, what makes eating the meat of a dead person (not being killed for food) immoral (if that is the case)?