Cannot access external hard drive attached to my timecapsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macgrl, Apr 16, 2009.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hi, I have plugged in an external hard drive into my timecapsule via the usb input. I have a main router for my network and internet and timecapsule is connected to this wirelessly. The external drive doesn't show up as being attached to the timecapsule and hence I cannot access any files. What do I need to do to be able to access it? Thank you :)

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this matters, but what is your external hard drive formatted as? HFS+, NTFS or FAT32? Reason I ask is OS X can't see NTFS file systems.

Another thing, do you have to enable something in airport utility to get external disks to appear? Just like how you have to enable the printer port on airport expresses. (No experience with airport extremes or time capsules.)

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah man, if you hook up a USB hard drive that is NTFS formattted to the usb port, TC or Airport Express will not see or work with that drive. It either has to be HFS+ or the old school FAT32.

I think that kinda sucks that you can't use a NTFS drive with the Airport Extreme or the Time Capsule.