Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happened2behere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Hi,

Everytime I try to click on my external hard drive it closes the window. I have two identical WD MyBook 250GB drives. Both are FAT 32 formatted. I can access one of them fine from my Macbook. The other displays its icon, but as soon as I click on it, it opens a window, then closes it again. I can access the drive via a PC.

I purchased a replacement hard drive (LaCie mobile disk 500GB) which worked fine until I transferred the data at which point the same thing started happening with the new drive. I ran a Bit Defender scan on the hard drive and the only thing that turned up was an "Exploit.PDF-JS.Gen" file buried inside Adobe Acrobat. Bit Defender couldn't quarantine or disinfect the file so I deleted the copy of Acrobat but the drive still won't mount.
I have a Macbook running OS X 10.4.11 and a 2 Ghz Intel processor.

Has anyone run into this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
D

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the drive is "Mac only" (i.e., you intend to connect it only to Macs, and never to PC's), why not use Disk Utility to re-initialize it to the Mac OS?

- John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.