Cannot access Macbook or MBP through Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ariez, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Ariez macrumors regular

Im not sure if i put this in the right forum, but im having trouble accessing my macbook and macbook pro through Vista. I see the computer name in networks, but when it prompts me to enter my user name and password it gives me an error. "Login Unsuccessful".

Now the login information is the same as logging into the macbook right?

I can access the Windows Desktop fine through OSX on the MBP, but gives me an error when trying to access the macbook through windows.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Silly question, but you're sure you have Personal File Sharing (Ahem, SMB/CIFS) enabled in System Prefs -> Sharing?

Secondly look at any firewalling (outbound on Vista and inbound on OS X) that may be disrupting traffic; I doubt this to be the case since you're getting a password prompt.

Lastly, check System Prefs -> Accounts for your full user name as well as your "short name". Give those both a try.

3. Ariez thread starter macrumors regular

1. yes it on (sharing).
    2. firewall is off, dont really need it on vista.
    3. i tried them all and even the IP address nothing have worked.

4. Ariez thread starter macrumors regular

anything? what are people using to log in? I assuming your name under accounts and password?

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I use my "short name" and password, which works fine; But when I have a Windows machine connecting, it's always been XP. I think this might be more of an issue with Vista?

Also, for clarification, you're just trying to access file shares, right? On re-reading your post, I considered you may be trying to do remote desktop, that is, controlling the screen of the other computer over the network.