iPad Cannot access www.google.com all of a sudden

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fraggot, Mar 25, 2014.

1. fraggot macrumors 6502

This is a very odd issue that seems to be only happening on my iPad Air.

I for some reason cannot search from the address/search bar on the top anymore, whenever I type in to search something it automatically tells me it couldn't load that page.

If I type in Google and click on one of the autocomplete choices, it'll give me the same thing. But when I actually type in www.google.com and press enter, it sits there for a minute before loading a very strange page, which I've attached.

I'm currently at work, it doesn't do it on any of our computers, phones but simply MY iPad Air all of a sudden.

Anyone got any ideas? I've reset Safaris History, Cookies and Cache with no luck.

Attached Files:

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Last time I saw something like that, my coworkers computer browser had hijacked. Though this was on a Windows 7 computer with malware.

As for why this is happening here, I'd have no clue. Is it possible to get your browser hijacked on an iPad? Google search said yes but it's not so clearly defined...

I'd recommend a visit to the Apple Store closest to you. That or calling customer service if there isn't a store. Good luck!

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Is your iPad on the same network as your work computers? Do you see the same problem if you connect your iPad to a different WiFi network or to 3G if you've got that?

5. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

You aren't getting to Google.

Look at the URLs displayed... One is "1empiredirect" and one is "1840.bitterstrawberry.com"

That is not Google.

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am pretty sure he knows that. Most likely he typed in google.com and was redirected, I would assume he's showing what happens when he types in the google URL.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Make sure anything important is backed up. Set up as a new iPad.

8. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

That's not going to help if the DNS server has been hacked and is redirecting web traffic. That's why I asked if it happened when attached to another network.

9. rrm74001, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

My first thought was that this might be a case of DNS poisoning:

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_poisoning
    However, if you actually go to
    Code:
    bitterstrawberry.com
    (super weird website by the way) it talks about some kind of web filter/redirection/monetization service.

Eliminate your iPad as having an issue by trying your home network. They ask your IT department if they use this "BitterStrawberry" service.