Cannot activate ATT 4s from 4 restore upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Oct 24, 2014.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have an old unlocked ATT 4s and my wife's 4 is broken.

I backed up her 4, updated to ios 8.1 and restored the backup on the 4s.

I am getting "NO service" and "SIM NOT PROVISIONED" on 4s.

Can I switch sims on 4 & 4s and then tell ATT the IMEI of the 4s? Is that the only way.

Is there an easier way as she is asleep and I don't want to wake her with family plan account questions.

Thanks.

2. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spoke to ATT support and I am confused. ATT said you cannot swap sim cards between 4 and 4s because the sim cards are different size. I could swear this was incorrect so I went to youtube and saw some videos where the sim cards are the same size.

ATT said they could send me a new SIM or I could go to a store.

Will swapping out the sims have any issues? Heard someone was billed more due to a IMEI issue.

Thanks.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Remember that a carrier CS rep isn't necessarily going to know details about phones. Consider how many zillions of phone models the carrier sells.

Both the 4 and 4S use micro SIMs. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5554

Just swap the SIMs. Your wife's cell phone account and phone number follows the SIM. IMEI doesn't matter, AT&T will figure it out on their own. No impact to you, no need to call AT&T, just swap the SIM and go.

As to what you "heard" nobody here can address that given how vague your statement was. Just swapping SIM from one iphone to another iphone won't affect anything on your account. If you swapped a SIM from a dumb phone to an iphone, then they'd start charging for a data plan. But iphone to iphone won't affect the bill.