Cannot activate windows vista ultimate in Parallels Desktop 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chang noi, Mar 13, 2008.

1. chang noi macrumors newbie

I installed on my Mac Pro in Bootcamp Windows Vista Ultimate, activated it, works fine. I then installed in OS X Parallels Desktop 3.0 and created a virtual machine that started windows vista in bootcamp. Activated with the same windows vista activation key windows vista in Parallels, everything worked fine.

Problem: A few weeks later, when I started windows on the virtual machine in paralells, windows complains that it is has to be re-activated (strange,as it was activated before). So I tried to activate it again, but it complains that the serial number is already in use. If I boot windows in bootcamp and check the windows activation status there, it says "genuine activated version". It seems that somehow it now refuses the same serial number for the virtual machine in parallels and wants me to buy a second serial code.

Does anyone know a solution to this? I do not want to buy a second license from Bill Gates.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You could ring Microsoft activations and get them to reset the key for you - that will allow you to reactivate it but I don't know if it will happen again.

Basically Bootcamp and a Parallels virtual machine actually chow up as different hardware - so when Vista "phones home" it reports that the virtual machine is actually a second install.

3. Nordichund macrumors 6502

You just have to call Microsoft and explain the situation, they will then give you an activation key. The number to call should come up on the screen when you try to activate it. It really shouldn't be a problem at all.

Edit, steveza beat me to it :)

You might want to contact tech support at Parallels as well and let them know about your problem. See if they can suggest a solution so that it doesn't happen again.

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Sorry :)

5. chang noi thread starter macrumors newbie

Will contact Microsoft and Parallels.

Thank you guys for your fast reply. You are great!

Greetings from Bangkok

Chang Noi