Cannot add email accounts at all.

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by deathtotoasters, Nov 13, 2015.

1. deathtotoasters macrumors 6502

Upgraded to El Capitan yesterday. So far nothing but issues.

I am trying to add accounts into the 'Internet Accounts'

For example, I enter the info for my gmail account. Go through the process, check the services that I want (which is all) then click next. I see a small gear turning for a few seconds, then it just sits there. Nothing else.

I try to enter in my exchange account, and it does the same thing.

Anyone else?

Anyone know of solutions?

Thanks

2. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Falcon16 macrumors member

Falcon16

try creating a new user account and setting up from in there. Just proves if your issue is user specific or system wide. If it's user specific there are what are called plist files in the library folder that you can move to the trash to try and reset mail and get it working in your normal account but try a test user just to see if it's user specific. If you need more help give me a pm. I work in tech support and do this kind of thing all day 5 days a week for a living.

4. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, created a new user account with admin privileges and was able to set one up. So I assume that means user specific.

So now I need to remove/delete certain plist files?

Thanks for the help.

5. Falcon16 macrumors member

Falcon16

Yes that's correct. I'll have to look up the specific plist files but let me look in to that and get back to you

6. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thanks alot for that. It has been driving me nuts for a while.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Even if you get this specific issue corrected in your current user account remember that other issues related to user account corruption may pop up.

8. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes sense. So what is the proper method to do this?

I added another user and added internet accounts there with no issue

9. Falcon16 macrumors member

Falcon16

If you believe the user account is corrupt I'd change permissions in your home folder then create a new user account and drag the data over once it's over and you've got yourself set up delete the corrupted account

10. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

Any instructions on how to specifically do the? I never have before . Thanks again

11. Falcon16 macrumors member

Falcon16

Go to your home folder from the Go menu. Right click (if you have a 2 button mouse) or Control-Click on each folder and change permissions. make sure that you set it so everyone can read the folders. then go back to the new user navigate to the home folder of the old user and drag the files over

12. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

That's all it takes? Does it install the programs etc that are on the original profile?

13. Falcon16 macrumors member

Falcon16

the programs should all be in the applications folder which is system wide.

14. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I will try this. Any other things to try before I do all this?

One last thing. Do I need to click on every folder and change permissions? There isn't a top level folder I can do and it will do all of the sub levels?

15. Falcon16 macrumors member

Falcon16

you could enable the root user and change the top level home folder of the affected user from there. just be careful. That'll frankly be the fastest way to do it.

16. deathtotoasters thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok tried everything above. Cannot get this profile to accept the new internet accounts.

So I am still confused on how to make my new user profile have all the same data, folders, apps, etc as the original.

Can anyone explain that to me?

Thanks