Cannot add music to or manually manage iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by asusnowboarding, Feb 7, 2011.

1. asusnowboarding, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

asusnowboarding macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

With each release, iTunes seems to be getting more and more difficult to use. First of all, I added a "My Music" folder to my iTunes library that contained almost 60 gigabytes worth of MP3's. iTunes has decided, however, that it only wants to add about 600 megabytes of this, and I can't figure out why none of the other files are showing up.

Also, what's up with the "manually manage iphone" checkbox? If I strike the checkbox, iTunes tells me that I must delete everything on the iPhone and sync it. I thought manually managing the iphone means that I don't have to use the stupid sync feature, so why does iTunes require me to completely wipe out my iphone to use this feature?

So, now not only can I not add a single music file to the phone, the "back way" doesn't work either. I cannot create, edit, or delete any playlists on the iPhone.

EDIT: If I try to check "sync only checked songs and videos", and then I click the "sync" button, itunes says that sync is finished, but none of the tracks I checked show up in the ipod application. What's up with that?

Can somebody help me? I would really rather not use iTunes, as I greatly dislike it for the reasons above, but no other music players will work with iphone. How do I make the dumb thing work?

2. JamesMB, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB