Cannot add new desktop background folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mhaddy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

In the Desktop & Screen Saver pane of System Preferences, I wanted to add a new folder for use as my desktop background images. However, when I click on the + icon to add the new folder, it does not appear in the source list and instead, it duplicates my Aperture library source, as seen in attachment 1. If I try to add the new folder again, it says it is already present in the source list, as seen in attachment 2.

I've tried deleting my com.apple.desktop.plist preference file, and that resets things, but when I go to add the folder, it does the same thing. I've tried different folder locations, different folder names -- nothing works.

Anyone else experiencing this problem/know what's up?

Attached Files:

2. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

yeah...had the same problem awhile back. for me (and quite a lot of others), i installed Aperture and deleted iPhoto, apparently Leopard got pissed off and decided to take my custom wallpaper folder away from there :eek:

the only fix was to reinstall iPhoto and re-create an iPhoto library. it doesn't have to be anything huge just one pic will do. the option for adding folders will then come back.

3. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Well that would be a pain in the butt if I had to install iPhoto to add a custom folder. I have this issue on my Macbook Air, so space is a premium! Perhaps I'll just throw the pictures in the Pictures folder for now and cross my fingers this bug gets fixed soon...

Thanks for your reply, benzslrpee.

4. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I've had the same problem. Having iPhoto installed fixes the problem.

5. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I've got a custom folder for wallpapers without having iPhoto. So not sure if that's the entire cause for the headaches.

6. packhater macrumors newbie

apeture probs!!!!!!

remove your apeture libraries in home/Pictures!

This will fix it. The folders are actually there but when there is a apeture library, you can't see em. I can't even get apetures library to work in the desktop background area!

AARRGH!!!!!