Cannot answer phone or unlock to read text messages after updating to 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thomasp, Oct 16, 2009.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Ever since I upgraded my iPhone 3G to OS 3.1.2 I find I cannot "slide to answer" calls or "slide to view" text messages.

When my phone is asleep (screen off) and either someone calls me or I receive a text, I get the usual "wallpaper" screen with either the blue box showing me who's sent a text or the indication of who's calling. However when I try to slide the bar at the bottom to either view the text message or answer the phone, it is totally unresponsive.

The only way to make it respond is to put the display to sleep (press the lock button on the top of the phone) and wake it up again (press the home button), then the slider will work. This obviously is totally unacceptable when someone's phoning, as it hangs up on them, and I then have to call them back, which on PAYG isn't ideal.

How can I fix this? I don't believe I have an older version of the iPhone OS on my computer as I got a new MBP after I last upgraded the OS.

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Have you tried restoring it?
    Is it still under warranty?

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I go about restoring my iPhone? What exactly does restoring do?

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Restoring your iPhone is a common method in fixing iPhone software problems. Seems like that's the kind of problem you're having, and it seems to me that restoring it should fix it for you.
    Here's how to do it. (Aldo explains what it does.

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

I've just plugged my iPhone into iTunes to sync it (update a couple of apps), and I noticed the "Other" field in the size graph down the bottom of the screen was only reading about 100Mb, as opposed to the usual ~225Mb. After a sync it returned to ~225Mb. Am waiting to see if that worked!

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

It might work. I just want to reitterate that if sycong didn't do anything, restoring it will definitely fix it.
    I hope it's fixed already though!

7. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

So do I! I'm on Pay as You Go and this is costing a fortune!

If it doesn't' work, will try a restore, and failing that, moan at Apple since I have just under a month left on my warrantee.

8. davhorgan macrumors newbie

iPhone call freezing

This has also happened to me. Apple said it may be a hardware issue and if restore does not fix it, then they will replace it.

9. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems that just re-syncing my iPhone, as mentioned above, has solved the problem. Have received a couple of calls today and its worked fine. Will post back if there are any other problems.

davhorgan: Its worth checking the size of the "Other" category when you connect your iPhone to iTunes - if its considerably less than 225Mb, re-sync your phone before you restore. That's what solved the problem for me.

10. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Wow, that's great!
    I never heard of the "other" thing before, thanks for educating me! :)