Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Ever since I upgraded my iPhone 3G to OS 3.1.2 I find I cannot "slide to answer" calls or "slide to view" text messages.

When my phone is asleep (screen off) and either someone calls me or I receive a text, I get the usual "wallpaper" screen with either the blue box showing me who's sent a text or the indication of who's calling. However when I try to slide the bar at the bottom to either view the text message or answer the phone, it is totally unresponsive.

The only way to make it respond is to put the display to sleep (press the lock button on the top of the phone) and wake it up again (press the home button), then the slider will work. This obviously is totally unacceptable when someone's phoning, as it hangs up on them, and I then have to call them back, which on PAYG isn't ideal.

How can I fix this? I don't believe I have an older version of the iPhone OS on my computer as I got a new MBP after I last upgraded the OS.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Ever since I upgraded my iPhone 3G to OS 3.1.2 I find I cannot "slide to answer" calls or "slide to view" text messages.

When my phone is asleep (screen off) and either someone calls me or I receive a text, I get the usual "wallpaper" screen with either the blue box showing me who's sent a text or the indication of who's calling. However when I try to slide the bar at the bottom to either view the text message or answer the phone, it is totally unresponsive.

The only way to make it respond is to put the display to sleep (press the lock button on the top of the phone) and wake it up again (press the home button), then the slider will work. This obviously is totally unacceptable when someone's phoning, as it hangs up on them, and I then have to call them back, which on PAYG isn't ideal.

How can I fix this? I don't believe I have an older version of the iPhone OS on my computer as I got a new MBP after I last upgraded the OS.
Have you tried restoring it?
Is it still under warranty?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Restoring your iPhone is a common method in fixing iPhone software problems. Seems like that's the kind of problem you're having, and it seems to me that restoring it should fix it for you.
Here's how to do it. (Aldo explains what it does.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Restoring your iPhone is a common method in fixing iPhone software problems. Seems like that's the kind of problem you're having, and it seems to me that restoring it should fix it for you.
Here's how to do it. (Aldo explains what it does.

Thanks for the reply.

I've just plugged my iPhone into iTunes to sync it (update a couple of apps), and I noticed the "Other" field in the size graph down the bottom of the screen was only reading about 100Mb, as opposed to the usual ~225Mb. After a sync it returned to ~225Mb. Am waiting to see if that worked!

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

I've just plugged my iPhone into iTunes to sync it (update a couple of apps), and I noticed the "Other" field in the size graph down the bottom of the screen was only reading about 100Mb, as opposed to the usual ~225Mb. After a sync it returned to ~225Mb. Am waiting to see if that worked!

It might work. I just want to reitterate that if sycong didn't do anything, restoring it will definitely fix it.
I hope it's fixed already though!

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I hope it's fixed already though!

So do I! I'm on Pay as You Go and this is costing a fortune!

If it doesn't' work, will try a restore, and failing that, moan at Apple since I have just under a month left on my warrantee.

davhorgan

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
iPhone call freezing

This has also happened to me. Apple said it may be a hardware issue and if restore does not fix it, then they will replace it.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
It seems that just re-syncing my iPhone, as mentioned above, has solved the problem. Have received a couple of calls today and its worked fine. Will post back if there are any other problems.

davhorgan: Its worth checking the size of the "Other" category when you connect your iPhone to iTunes - if its considerably less than 225Mb, re-sync your phone before you restore. That's what solved the problem for me.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Wow, that's great!
I never heard of the "other" thing before, thanks for educating me! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.