Cannot Backup or Partition.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MattZani, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

A while ago, i wanted to partition using bootcamp to try out W7, but Bootcam said i had immovable files, so i thought ok, and left, as it was suggesting a re-install.

Now whenever Time Machine tries to backup, it says it cannot copy some files, so im not exactly sure if its backing up at all...

Now, you'd think i would just re-install, problem is i have lost the Install Disc, is there anything else i can do other than acquire a Leopard Disc Somehow?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does it tell you what files couldn't be copied? Maybe they're logged to Console...

One way or another, I would order a replacement disk set from Apple. You will need them sooner or later.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I found by install disc 1 ^^ Installing OS X now using the method which keeps all your files, and just gives you new system files, and keeps your old ones in another folder. Once it's done, I'll try a backup, and partition, if it's all working fine then great, if not im going to format using disc utility, then clean install, and grab my files off the TC.

Hope it doesn't take too long, gotta go to bed :p

4. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Quick Install Didnt work, clean install did, but i wanted more partitions...

Formatted HDD in Disc Utility, made partitions, went to install OS X, need both discs, and i only found disc 1. Now going to restore from the backup before i started, then clean install, but migrate users.

To add to the problems, my neck locked today, but i'll have tomorrow to get all this done atleast...

5. appleweek macrumors member

Got Windows 7 to work find here on my Mac, had a partition pre-made though, so didn't use the Boot Camp partitioner.

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Found install disc 2 so now have them both, have done a full install, now getting all my info off my TC, using gigabit Ethernet, it's still going to take around 10 hours :/ ohwell, needed to be done I suppose.