Cannot boot 2012 Macbook Air from external HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Globe199, May 16, 2012.

1. Globe199 macrumors member

Long story short, I had to wipe the internal HD on my 2012 Macbook Air, including the recovery HD. I tried twice to boot to Apple's Recovery Console (using Command+R), but it failed both times with error 2003F. Apple phone support had no idea what that meant. Wow.

Anyway, I tried booting from an external HD that has Lion installed from a corporate disc image. It's not an install disk, it's the actual installed OS. All I get is the empty-set symbol (circle with diagonal line thru it) when I choose the boot device. Nothing works. I also tried booting from the "Recovery HD" on the external drive. I'm now going to try booting from an external DVD drive; I'm not optimistic.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not hike back to the Apple store.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I'm guessing you mean a 2011 MBA, since the 2012s aren't out yet.

I have actually booted from an external disk I yanked out of my Mac Mini and it worked fine. Do you have a time machine backup you can use...that's the easiest thing to use to recover Lion that I have found...no need for an install image or internet connection to do it.

3. Globe199 thread starter macrumors member

OK, 2011. No time machine, it's a brand new machine, bought last week.

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    go here - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 - and download the tool to another Mac running Lion

you can install it onto a usb stick.

then insert the stick into your errant MBA and hold down the option key as you startup.
    you should be sweet to go from there … re-downloading Lion and your other apps from the App Store (if you don't already have 'em on a backup disc)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you take it to an Apple Store or reseller to have take a look at it?