cannot boot, cannot repair disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by topcomer, Dec 21, 2009.

1. topcomer macrumors newbie

hi,

today my macbook pro refused to boot into OSX, in any possible mode. It does, however, boot into bootcamp or from a friend's installation dvd (since mine is 800km away, in my office together with my Apple Care, since I'm on holidays). I ran the Disk Repaired and it said it cannot repair my disk and I should backup and format. Now my question is: is there an alternative way to fix my disk? can I format without my installation dvd? how can I backup my data if I can only run from dvd?

Thank you!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Oh your hard drive went south. Since you are at college ask around and see if any Mac user has Alsoft's Disk Warrior because IMHO is tis top notch. If no one is around find the closest Apple store and take it in or call Apple Care ASAP.

3. topcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

with diskwarrior I can boot from the dvd as I do with leopard, right? to where can I backup?

Thanks again!

4. topcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to boot from diskwarrior dvd and I only see the apple with the spinning circle forever, I've been waiting >20 mins now..

5. topcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

6. kehauli macrumors newbie

hard drive

Hey, I'm having the same problem with my MacBook. Have you found a way to repair your hard drive yet?

7. topcomer thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, I tried accessing my data from another laptop, with no luck. so I formatted and installed OS X again, there was a red error message in disk utility saying that the SMART was damaged, luckily though the apple care I got a new hdd for free, and I had my time machine, so now I have all my data. I hope it is the same for you!