Cannot boot from external SSD ...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by costica1234, Oct 23, 2013.

1. costica1234, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

costica1234 macrumors member

Hello,

I have just made a fresh install of Mavericks on a brand new Samsung 840 EVO SSD (I initially erased the drive and formatted it to Mac OS Extended Journaled, then created a USB installation drive and performed the installation on the SSD …). It all went well, the computer restarted during this 30 min or so process … However, the problem is when I try to boot in the Samsung SSD at startup having the ALT key pressed, I can only see the 10.8.5 and its recovery partition … Any ideas as to why it doesn't show up the SSD which is connected via USB 3.0 to my laptop ?

Thank you.

* I have a mid-2012 15 inch MacBook Pro

2. costica1234 thread starter macrumors member

3. costica1234 thread starter macrumors member

Update: even if I go in Mountaion Lion at the Start-up disk option and select the Samsung SSD with 10.9 it still boots into ML … Has anyone encountered this before ?

4. Dreadnought, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have the exact same symptoms. A couple of weeks ago I made a partition with 10.6.8 (to run old games) and today I updated from 10.8 to 10.9. Now I can only restart to 10.9. I can't startup 10.6, not with holding the ALT button, and sometimes at startup it also doesn't show this partition. It also doesn't show Bootcamp. In System Preferences/Startup disk I can only select 10.9 and Bootcamp, no 10.6.

After startup, holding ALT button, and if I can select 10.6, I'll get a grey icon that it can't boot and then the Apple logo appears and it start's up in 10.9.

Edit: it seems that installing 10.9 on my main partition (updating 10.8) has corrupted my other 2 partitions of Bootcamp (windows 7) and 10.6.8. Windows needs a clean install (when starting up black screen and says it needs install CD) and 10.6 I'm trying to restore to an earlier version with Time Machine. It seems that 10.9 is corrupting some stuff... Costica, maybe this is also with you. Sorry for hijacking your post!

5. costica1234 thread starter macrumors member

Ugh, I am sorry for you ... In my case I was simply installing the OS on an external drive connected and after restart the MacBook was unable to see it. The solution, rather straightforward, was to shut the mac down and then re-boot it and then I was able to see both the HDD inside the laptop and the external SSD ... Still, it was weird that after a restart it was unable to detect the SSD.

As a side-note, I now swapped the old HDD with the SSD and the result is stunning :). An SSD is the best upgrade one can have for any computer.