Cannot boot restore DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael4824, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Michael4824 macrumors member

I purchased a MacBook Pro 13inch shortly after WWDC this year. I love it so far.

I was playing around, and I happened to try to boot the restore DVD. At this point in time, I do not need to restore. However, I quickly found out that it won't let me. Everytime I attempt to, it gives me an error, in about four different languages, saying an error has occurred, and it tells me to hold the power button down for about 10 seconds.

When Leopard loads after the startup, it ask me to report the issue to Apple, which I do. But it worries me, that if I can't load the restore DVD now, how will I be able to restore when I really need to?

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there anything I can do to make it boot?

Thanks.

EDIT: Here is the report that is sent to Apple:

2. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

You do NOT boot in to the disc, you must insert the disc while you're on Leopard. A window then pops up asking you what to do next.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Uhh, yeah you do boot into the disk. If you have problems booting up your system, how are you supposed to boot into leopard first and then insert the install disk to help resolve your problems? The install disks allow you to boot into them to be able to use disk utility and other utilities to troubleshoot the internal hd when it has problems and also re-install the OS.

OP, I believe what you are experiencing is a kernel panic. Consult this guide on kernel panics and see if the screen shown there matches the screen that shows up on when you try to boot into the install disks.

What are you trying to do to boot from the discs? The method I use is holding the option/alt key at startup and then selecting the CD when it shows up. You can also hold the "C" key to make it boot from the CD.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you using the correct disc?

A restore disc for a different Mac can cause a Kernel Panic.

5. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

I did, from an Apple Store, not even a reseller.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I called Apple, and their sending me out a new pair of Recovery DVD's. Thanks for the help. Glad to know it wasn't my fault for what was happening.

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's possible that it is the discs that are at fault, but when you do get the new discs and you are still unable to boot to them, then there may be a problem with your optical drive. Your machine is under warranty for a full year by default, so if there is a problem then you can take it into an Apple store and they will replace it for you within a few days.

11. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

What he said^^^. Try to boot the new ones when the get there and if you have a problem call apple and get your optical drive replaced