Cannot boot up in mac os after failed attempt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oodko, Dec 9, 2007.

1. oodko macrumors newbie

I've literally just opened up my new 24" iMac with Leopard and everything was running fine.

I used boot camp assistant to try and install windows xp on my computer.
    After partitioning, I inserted a windows installation cd and clicked the last button in the boot camp asssistant and my computer restarted.

As expected it loaded up in a DOS-like window and I was prompted to install my cd of windows.

I'm guessing I didn't have a proper windows xp cd because it came with two cds. It began installing windows from the first cd, but I had to insert the second one to complete installation. Since there's no real way to eject a cd on the mac aside from the keyboard I had to cancel my windows installation.

At this point all I could do was force shutdown the computer and now whenver i turn it on it loads into the dos-like window and I can't load up mac os.

If anybody could help me out or at least point me in the right direction, it would be a greeeeeeaaaat help! I'm just bummed I was stupid enough to screw up my new imac an hour after opening it

Thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hold down "option" as you start the computer. This will hopefully give you the option to chose where to boot from.

If that doesn't work you can try holding down Command+Option+P+R to reset your PRAM which stores the boot location, this will hopefully cause it to revert to the OS X partition.

3. oodko thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah thank you very much!! I used the PRAM keyboard press and it booted in mac os.

Is it normal for there to be an additional hard disk on the desktop that says "BOOT CAMP", even thought my attempt at installing windows failed?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it successfully created the partition and I assume the default name it gives to it is Boot Camp so I would say that it is normal, although I don't have any personal experience with failed installs.

Perhaps you should read through the install instructions

5. oodko thread starter macrumors newbie