Cannot buy an iPhone 6 anymore?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxap, Dec 13, 2014.

1. maxap, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

I was planning to buy an iPhone 6 (gold, 64GB) for my better half as a present, but it turned out to be a true nightmare. I had already placed 4 orders at Apple Store online (over the period of 2 months): 1 iPhone 6 first time and then 2 iPhones with each of 3 orders in order to get a good one out of 2. Each time I had to send my order back and reorder the iPhones. Unbelievable! Some of them had scratches on the screen and the body, dead pixels, dust under the screen, broken headphone jacks and other issues. I simply couldn't find a good one! And I think I am entitled to one since I am paying 800 Euros for it (almost $1,000).

Well, today I thought I would place the fifth order (again two iPhones 6) and see whether I will be lucky this time. If not, I thought I would give up, and never come back to this idea of purchasing an iPhone 6.

Now, I see that Apple has just cancelled my last order stating that I reached a maximum number of iPhones per custumer. WTF? Have you ever heard about this policy? What does it actually mean?

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

usually with new phones its a limit of 2 per person. i would call apple customer service

3. JulesJam, Dec 13, 2014

JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Apple limits the number of iPhones a person can buy to stop resellers. Idk about in Europe but in the US, the simple solution is to buy an Apple e-gift card and have it emailed to you at another email address. Then you use the e-gift card to purchase the phone but do not use your Apple ID email address for the purchase, use another email address. Problem solved. I was able to buy 13 iPhone 6 this way. In the US they cut you off after 10.

Also in the US, even if you are cut off online, you can continue to buy them in store. Idk how it works anywhere else.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

yea, like ^ at once its 2 per person 10 lifetime (of the model). i think that applies to your apple id though or your cell account or something related to that online only, they can't police that in stores. because plenty of people/resellers just go back to an apple store and pay full price with a cc or cash in person. some even hit up multiple stores in the same day.

5. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

But in store is a pain b/c sometimes there are long wait times and then you find out they don't have the model/color you want.

If you go the Apple e-gift card route you can order online for personal pick-up or ship to home - so much easier. The only downside is if your credit card offers some sort of loss/damage protection or extended warranty you won't get that if you use the gift card to buy the phone. I buy AppleCare+ so I don't care about that.

Several people who got in on the Verizon UDP glitch bought well over 20, even 50 by doing in-store purchases!!!!

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

That is some horrible luck! Purchased around 8 new iPhones total - all have been perfect.

7. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Assuming your in the US, and not buying them on contract, why wouldnt you go to one of the many other places that sell them? Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target....

8. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Well first off he said he paid in Euros so he isn't in the US.

However, many (all?) of those places charge $50 more for a full retail phone than Apple if they will even sell you one. Notice that BB sells the 16GB iP6 for $699.99 rather than the $649 that Apple charges.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-i...less/7619002.p?id=1219289491228&skuId=7619002

Sometimes you can get them to price match Apple in-store.

Also many of those retailers have restocking fees if you change your mind, but Apple doesn't. Not to mention if you want AppleCare on your device, you can get it at the time of purchase through Apple.

The e-gift card is the easiest route to avoid Apple's quantity limitations.

9. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

True, but both Best Buy and Target will price match. When I bought my Verizon 6 to use on TMobile at BB they price matched Apple. And they dont have a restocking fee. Usually its just the carriers that have restocking fee.

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I didnt realize they sell above retail - weird!

11. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

He's in europe anyhow but at my BB, they really don't like to sell them full retail unless there is not an inventory problem. It takes manager approval to get them to do it and they aren't happy about it.

----------

It's not wierd - they make virtually no profit off of the iPhones when they sell them full retail.

12. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for all your replies! I am from Europe and prefer not to buy an e-giftcard: otherwise, if I send new iPhones back, I will be stuck with these cards I don't need.

Strange, we went only through 7 iPhones and I may not order them anymore. (that would have been 9 iPhones in total if the last order was successful) However, I still have two last iPhones here (return authorized), but they will probably be picked up next week. Maybe I should try it again when these two iPhones will have been sent back to Apple.

Do you know, guys, whether this policy only applies to iPhones? What about iPads?

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

He spoke about euro, so clearly he's not in the US...

----------

You are buying and returning iPhones, at Apple's expense. I can understand why they are banning you from buying more....

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's a phone, they're not going to be perfect.

15. JulesJam, Dec 13, 2014

JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Wow you either have the worst luck in the world or something fishy is going on here. And now you want to know about iPads, hmmmm.

I bought 12 iP6 and not a single one had a problem. And an iPad Air 2 - all were perfect.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not go to Bestbuy/radio shack or some other retailer to get a phone for your wife?

17. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

He lives in Europe and if I had to guess, other retailers don't have as liberal of a return policy over there as Apple does.

18. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

The issue is in the common denominator and it isn't the iPhones.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point is that if wants one for his wife he has options. The title to his thread is that he annoy buy an iPhone 6. He can, just not from apple with 5 pre-orders in the queue or in the process (if I read his post correctly). They may be tired of his constant buying/returning as well and shut him down.

20. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

I can imagine that Apple are "tired" of me buying and returning iPhones, but it is just unbelievably frustrating to receive them and to see that they have so many flaws. My first order contained two iPhones 6 (space grey and gold). The space grey one was perfect, so I kept it. The gold one had a loose screen: if you pressed on it, you could see it moving and hear it making sound. The next ones had other obvious defects: dead pixels, dust under the screen, scratches etc.

To be honest, I am also pretty tired of ordering and returning these iPhones and just want to have one, which is almost perfect, so that I could give it as a present. What I love about Apple, is their return policy and that is why I tried to buy it at the Apple Store online.

It is sad to know that Apple's QC is so non-existent nowadays...

21. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Um, none of the rest of us got as many supposed duds as you got and again, I bought 12 of them.

22. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I see a problem here and it isn't Apple.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I thought that was only in line for launch day and about a month after.

24. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Nope, they cut you off after 10 per Apple ID ordered online of any given model no matter when you buy them. It is easy as pie to get around that by just buying in-store.

25. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

... Wha... Why does Apple limit online sales?