Cannot Capture Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by saintalphonzo, May 31, 2011.

1. saintalphonzo macrumors newbie

I have a Canon XH A1 video camera - connecting to a bad ass Mac Tower with uber RAM - I'm using firewire with a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter - can't get the video to capture. I'm using Final Cut Pro - I go to "Log and Capture," and get the error "Unable to initialize video deck. You may still log offline clips or use CaptureNow. Capture Now doesn't work. WTF?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) "bad ass Mac Tower with uber RAM" - On reading that I was very tempted not to bother replying. Please don't refer to things such as the RAM amount as "uber" especially when its highly likely "uber" is actually far from it.
    2) Does Final Cut Pro recognise your camera as being plugged in on opening the Application? Or do you get the box "Unable to detect device etcetcetc"?

3. simsaladimbamba

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Do your camera settings, recorded footage, and FCP Easy Setup all match (ex. you have HDV 1080i60 on tape, your camera is setup to send out HDV 1080i60 out via FW and you are using the HDV 1080i60 Easy Setup in FCP)?

Lethal

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Does iMovie recognise your camera? A workround could be to import into iMovie then into FC.

6. MaDTruthSeekeR macrumors newbie

Helpful vs. not helpful

chrismacguy, did you know that snob is going out of style? Yeah. Getting things done is much cooler now a days. Obviously he was only saying he had lots of ram to note that it was not a memory issue. And what a strange thing to do to question if he had a lot of ram or not Sheesh! It would be nice to actually have come to this thread to see some help on this actual topic. I am having the same problem too and not finding much useful. Thanks. :apple:

7. simsaladimbamba

And what about the helpful replies asking questions about recognising the camera and such? Have you read and tried them? Or is that too snob too?