Cannot change Account picture

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
Good morning,

My account picture keeps defaulting back to this cute little butterfly (I'm a dude) no matter how many times I try and change it under system preferences/Users and groups it. Anyone run into anything similar?

I am running the latest version of LION.

Thanks in advance.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Let me clarify.

I've tried the above several times and it keeps reverting back to the butterfly. I've tried unlocking, changing the picture and locking followed by a restart and it still reverts.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Let me clarify.

I've tried the above several times and it keeps reverting back to the butterfly. I've tried unlocking, changing the picture and locking followed by a restart and it still reverts.
Make the change in your Address Book. Make a entry for yourself with the photo you want then designate that entry as "My Card" from the Address Book Card menu.

Loke2112

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Make the change in your Address Book. Make a entry for yourself with the photo you want then designate that entry as "My Card" from the Address Book Card menu.

That appears to have fixed it. I guess when I had that address book archive/vcard issue a few weeks back (That I believe you helped me with) I must have imported the Flower pic by default or something??

I hope it stays fixed. Either way thanks again for the great help.

Weaselboy for MacRumors President!!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That appears to have fixed it. I guess when I had that address book archive/vcard issue a few weeks back (That I believe you helped me with) I must have imported the Flower pic by default or something??

I hope it stays fixed. Either way thanks again for the great help.

Weaselboy for MacRumors President!!
Ah yes... I remember you. Glad this fixed it. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Let me clarify.

From the thread I posted a link to:
Ok, I think I've solved this problem, at least on 10.7.1 (not sure about 10.7.0). Here are the steps:

1. Go into Address Book > Card > Go to My Card

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your Admin user and pick the photo you want

6. Go back to Address Book, click Card > Make This My Card

Hopefully this will work for you too.
I can confirm that just changing my picture in my address book "my card" seems to have updated my user account picture as well. I think this is kind of a bug. Settings->Users accounts makes it seem like you have changed the picture for your user account, only to have it go back after reboot or logout.
All it takes is clicking and reading. It was pretty hard to miss.