Cannot change desktop wallpaper 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busybusy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. busybusy macrumors newbie

I am on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8
    I have not been able to change the desktop wallpaper for approximately 6 months.
    I have created another user account on the computer and the wallpaper can be changed in that account.
    I have read many threads in this forum and elsewhere and this is what I have tried so far but none of it has yet worked:

1: I have deleted the following and then restarted -
    /Users/[home folder]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist
    /Users/[homefolder]/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver*.plist

This got rid of the desktop I had, but now I have the default background of Aurora and cannot change it.

2: I have also deleted -
    /Users/[homefolder]/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver*.plist

-com.apple.screensaver.plist
    -com.apple.screensaveritunesartwork.plist
    -com.apple.screensaversildeshow.plist

3: I have also tried this:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Computer Name.saver
    I went there and double clicked and then clicked install. Nothing appeared to change.

Any thoughts about what else I can try?
    Thank you!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just to check one obvious possible cause, have you tried running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility? Based on the behavior, it sounds rather like a permissions issue, although even if it is Disk Utility's repair won't necessarily help.

3. busybusy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice.
    I just ran Repair Permissions and then restarted, I am still unable to change the desktop. This is what I got from Disk Utility, anything I should look into?:

Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/LeopardPanels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Utilities".
    ACL found but not expected on "Applications".
    ACL found but not expected on ".".

4. Damo01 macrumors regular

Sounds like your user account and or system has been messed up. There one plist you might have miss. The com.apple.systemPerferences.plist. Not sure whether that will fix.

As you said you created a new account that work which isolated the issue you're having.

Doing a reinstallation of Mac OS X would fix it or you could have a go use the migration assistant on new user account your have created to transfer files from your other account if you have enough free space that is without doing a reinstallation, which require a backup for any important data.

5. busybusy thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted this file and didn't get any change. I am probably going to try the migration unless anyone else has any thoughts.