Cannot change hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anjon, Feb 13, 2010.

1. anjon macrumors newbie

Replacing a stuck hard drive (flashing ? screen) I could not get the new one to go all the way in. To check the new one was not the problem I tried to slide in the old one which had come out so easily but with the same result-it meets a springy resistance about 1/8" short of all-the-way-in and will go no further.
    I do not know how much force is too much to use. Has anyone had the same experience in handling this problem or any suggestion for my next step since all this is new to me? Thank you:confused:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There are two rubber guides that hold the drive in place on each side. They can come loose and need to be refitted. On one side of the guide is a channel for the drive to slide through, on the other are 3 little protrusions that fit into holes on the metal chassis of the MacBook. You need to make sure the guides are in their proper place before sliding the drive in.

3. anjon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, Flopticalcube. You appear to have the experience and knowledge I need. How would I access these guides?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

When you pull the hard drive out. Look inside the cavity on the MacBook and you should see the guides on either side. They are dark gray or black. I used a long, thin screw driver to gently put them in place after they came out. Use a flashlight to look right down to the end near the connector to see if one of the guides has bunched up down there. If the guides appear to be fine, make sure your hard disk is mounted in the carrier the correct way up and make sure you slide the carrier in the correct way up. iFixit has a guide.

5. anjon thread starter macrumors newbie

Taking your advice, I shone the light into the cavity and the right side (gray) guides do appear to be as you surmise-somewhat more out of shape than the right, although my old eyes could be deceiving me. I have a thin screwdriver long enough to reach so I guess I should proceed by trial and error to adjust the right side guide until it resembles the left, eh? I will also go to the fixit site you suggest to see if it shows the guides properly positioned and this may give me the confidence to press on since I'm passed the point of no return anyway. Thanks again...

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unfortunately, iFixit doesn't show the guides. I would continue as you are doing and get one guide to look like the other. When you slide the drive through the channels on the guide there will be a slight resistance but not too much. That is how you know they are in the correct position. Too much resistance and you haven't pushed the guide into the chassis wall enough. There will be some resistance at the end when you push the drive connector into the socket but it should just be some thumb pressure.

7. anjon thread starter macrumors newbie

I spent an hour or so trying to push the guides back into position before I had to go off to shovel snow. I was more successful with the shovel. Now perhaps I will have to take off the bottom case to expose the track which I understand is a more complex step. Have you ever had to do this or do you know where this step is documented with the tools or tips to succeed at it? iFixit teardown sounds intimidating but with just a little more detail maybe I can navigate it. Thanks for your input and help.