cannot change name of windows drive in bootcamp + low audio

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littleasian, Jul 10, 2009.

1. littleasian macrumors member

hey guys

i just installed windows 7 rc1 beta(32 bit) on my new june-2009 unibody 15'' mbp.

everything works great and i have parallels installed on my mac side so i can run both (and use bootcamp). only problem is the windows drive shows up in osx as BOOTCAMP so i tried changing the name from the windows side into something less obstrusive such as Windows 7. problem is windows won't let me change the c drive title from BOOTCAMP to Windows 7. Everytime i type it in, it says "you require administrator priviledges to confirm" so i click confirm but it just reverts back. how do i change it?

also, the audio levels in windows seem to be lower on max volume than in osx. how do i make them louder? do i reinstall drivers?

thanks!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Are you doing that with your administrator user?

Not sure about Windows 7, but in OSX you can't write on NTFS partitions, if that is your case you might need something like MacFuse.

I'm not sure...just trying to give some ideas.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

In XP, it's involves right clicking on the C: drive, viewing properties, and then changing the name in there within Windows (maybe that will be different than what you are currently trying).

Vista/7 can only use NTFS, so it shouldn't be a problem renaming it to whatever you want while having the Mac side see the exact same. I suppose, the only problem after that is Windows itself.

Edit: McGiord is on the right track. It does sound like you are trying to change the name within Mac OS X. You can only change it in Windows.

As for audio drivers, if it's like the problem I had in XP, go to the audio settings fro Windows, and see if it's set to quadraphonic or a 5.1 stereo setup as opposed to a normal 2 speaker setup. Otherwise, there are no official drivers for Macs with Win 7 yet. So unless there are other drivers you can try if reinstalling doesn't work, you'll have to live with it for now.

4. littleasian thread starter macrumors member

no im trying to change it from windows.

i booted into my windows 7 partition using bootcamp and tried doing it there but nothing happens. i guess its not that big of a deal but i really don't get why i can't change teh drive name

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Have you tried with Disk Utility in MacOS X ?

6. graymadder macrumors newbie

I have dual booted my Mac with Win 7 RC1 and renamed the volume label without any issue. I added a . in front of the name to hide it from the Mac OS.

What steps are you doing to try and rename the volume?

As for you sound issue, try using Windows update and see if there are any hardware driver updates available. The drivers you loaded from the Mac disc are Vista/XP drivers. Once the final version of Win 7 has been released I assume Apple will release an updated driver release that includes Win 7.

I have loaded Win 7 on a Mac unibody 13" and a 2008 iMac without any issues. All hardware runs properly.