Cannot change password on computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jonnygill, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Jonnygill macrumors newbie

I am trying to install Logic Pro on my computer and I am being asked for a password. I don't know what the password is, and I am unable to change the password because when I try to I am asked for the old password.

My computer was recently repaired which is why I don't know the old password.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version is on that computer? Have you tried any of the guides available if you use a www search engine with "mac os x reset password" as search terms?

And why is there a different password after a repair associated with YOUR admin account? Have you tried leaving the password entry field blank and just clicked OK?

3. Jonnygill thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using OSX 10.6. I tried to reset the password by going to system preferences, but it asks me for the old password. I don't know what the old password is. Is there any way to change the password without knowing the old password?

Thanks!

4. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried the methods I advised you yet? Blank password, www search (guides available right there on the first page)?
    You need you original installation DVD though (or the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD), but there are ways around this.

And when your Mac was in service, was it by an Apple Authorised Repair Centre? If so, you could contact them and ask, why they changed the password.

Or does any other party have physical access to your Mac?

Anyway, try the blank password first, if that does not help, a www search for "mac os x 10.6 reset password" will result in plenty of valuable guides.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, there is. Just follow this guide.