Cannot change Primary Monitor in XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Igotmacqs, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Igotmacqs macrumors member

New 17 MBP. Drivers do not allow the primary monitor to be changed from the Laptop to a second monitor (when extended). Am I missing something?

Thanks.

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I have a new 15 MBP and I'm looking to do this...
    Actually, I can't figure out how to change the external monitor to primary in OSX.

I've been trying to figure out how to, but haven't yet...

Please help!

3. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

:eek:
    In OSX go System Preferences>Displays>Arrangement Tab>Drag the Menu Bar from the laptop to second monitor.

Apple needs to spend more time on their Windows drivers. Trackpad and Display Adaptor drivers are lacking. Many of us still need to use Windows apps for work, and Apple's not spending the time to allow full functionality Windows on Apple hardware is just silly. :eek:

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You could try installing the nVidia laptop drivers. I've been using them since they were released, and haven't had any problems. I am able to switch the primary monitor with no problems.

Also, using a virtualization solution will allow you to avoid a lot of the driver issues (specifically trackpad and display adapters, although graphics performance will be lacking).

5. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Runt. What driver are you running? Is it the new Beta from Feb 11? If you could post a link that would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

Tried to install the new Beta laptop drivers off of the Nvidia site, but they are a no go. Using a new MBP17. Any suggestions?

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

8. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Strange. I'm not on Windows right now so I can't check the driver date. I would look at the version number instead of the date anyway.

You might want to try uninstalling the current graphics drivers (which should revert you to the generic Microsoft one) and rebooting. Then try to install the nVidia drivers.

10. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

OK,

Uninstalled, rebooted, windows reverted to generic drivers, used the new XP Beta drivers from the Nvidia site, let the .exe install them, rebooted. The date still shows the same 1/30/09, bit the driver version matches the new one 6.14.11.7948.

Still can not change the primary monitor. Argggh!

11. thebackstageguy macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if you're still having this problem, so i'll post and PM you. Long time reader, first time writer. I had the same problem - I could not configure my display to be the only monitor.

However, I was able to get it workingn through the NVIDIA Control Panel.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel (should be available when you right click your desktop), choose Display -> Set up Multiple Displays. Pick Only use one display (single) and choose your secondary monitor from the pulldown menu. When you hit apply, it should configure the monitors properly.

12. Andman86 macrumors newbie

It Ain't Workin

I'm Having the same Problem and I can't set my Apple Cinema Display as my primary display. It's extremely frustrating. I don't know what to do. Maybe download a driver from nvida?

I have an xp partition by the way.

Thanks.