Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john2049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hey,
so I'm a noob, so please forgive me. I've jailbroken and have cydia and rock on my phone. I've done the openssh so I can try and do tethering. Now, I want to change the mobile and root password for my protection, but, when I try thorugh terminal, iterm etc. on my mac, after I type in the ssh root@192.....
it gives me the option to type in the old password so i can then replace, but it doesn't let me type anything except hitting enter then re-starts. arrrggg,
i evntually tried mobileterminal thinking i would get a different outcome, but nothing. weirdly enough, I cannot connect through any FTP program too, think this has something to do with it? any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks in advance.
-john

john2049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
permission denied

hey you guys, thanks for the replies, so I did try that, and I hit enter, still nothing...
so here is where i'm at
i'll type ssh root@192....(i fill in the rest of the ip)
then it asks me for a password, i've been told by everyone that i then type alpine, then from there i can change the password, but whenever i type alpine in it says "Permission denied, please try again"
any ideas? thanks a million i really appreciate it

foob

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2009
Try "ssh mobile@192..." and see if you get the same error. If it connects, use alpine as the password for that too. Once you're logged in, type "su" and hit enter and see if alpine works for the root password.

john2049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
tried that too...here is what terminal says
"Macintosh-9:~ johngillis$ ssh mobile@192.168.0.101
mobile@192.168.0.101's password: (here is where I would type alpine)
Permission denied, please try again."

so it is the exact same thing for mobile and root, i tried dottie as the passwords just for kicks nothing

arrrrgggg,

I have checked SSH is on, (i checked via SBsettings) i've got the right IP, it almost seems like those aren't the passwords...but i know that isn't possible since i've never changed it...right? thanks again you guys. i hope i'm not too much of a burden. blessigns

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Have you tried MobileTerminal? I never use SSH any more. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Do the following in MobileTerminal (note that you will be changing two passwords; you must do all of the steps below to keep your iPhone safe):

Type 'passwd'
When prompted for a password, enter 'alpine'
When prompted to enter your new password, do so.
When prompted to re-enter your new password, do so.

Type 'su root'
Type 'passwd'
When prompted to enter your new password, do so.
When prompted to re-enter your new password, do so.
Type 'exit'

john2049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
hey,
yes i've already tried mobileterminal, i just re-tried your steps to re assure i tried it all correctly, still nothing, it just says incorrect password to everything, i just turned on SSH (via big boss in cydia) earlier today, so I highly doubt i did anything to screw it up. so i've tried this through terminal, mobileterminal, iterm, transmit, and fugu. (cyberduck is acting funny on my computer right now so I cant quadruple check on that. In every single program they all essential say either
"password incorrect"
or after i type in the password, "connection denied"

thanks everyone thus far. shurgs, this is weird.

I really wouldn't care about openssh, but i need it for tethering which is super important to me, shurgs...

john2049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
also as a side note,
mobile terminal says
"sorry"
then goes back to this intial first prompt. i know it probably means that same thing as all the other programs, but thought i'd be spcific

john2049

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
progress...

so apparantly my password the whole time by default was
"password"

this is weird, i belive i changed the password to mobile in mobileterminal because it said
"changing password for mobile"

so i'm assuming now i do the su root thing, i'll try
success,
finally!
so FYI for people, i guess your default password for root and mobile can also be "password" and after doing more research, apparantly rather than alpine and dottie it can also be pswd, 1111, or 0000
anyone heard of this? i'm glad i've got it secured now...phew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.