Cannot change which data to 'sort by' in Downloads folder

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by steve.lawrence, Aug 20, 2012.

1. steve.lawrence macrumors member

Since updating to Mountain Lion, I find that I am no longer able to sort by a field of my choice in the Downloads folder in Finder.

For example, in any other folder I can click on the 'Name' or 'Date added' or 'size' header to sort the contents of the folder by that value. But as soon as I go to the downloads folder, they become 'fixed' and I cannot sort by anything but name.

Anyone struck this or know how to fix it? Thanks!

Steve

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'll have to test this when I'm at my Mac... I have ML, and I always use icon view, not list view (which I assume is what you are using), so I never notice things like this ;)

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I just tried the different sorting options in my Downloads folder and they all work as expected for me.

I know that's not terribly helpful, but at least you know it should be working.

Bit of a strange problem you have there!

4. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

Make sure you don't have "Arrange by:" set in View Options. Having that set will not let you click on the column to sort. If it's set to "None" already, then maybe something else is wrong.

5. spangenberg macrumors member

That fixed it for me!

Thanks

6. August51 macrumors newbie

August51

Answer is still valid

This worked for me too -- and it has been frustrating me for months! (until I finally decided to Google it…)

Thanks.