cannot chose which partition to boot into

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by schmintan, Apr 23, 2007.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

i have installed windows vista via bootcamp, and then set mac os as the default OS so it automatically boots into it. but when i reset the MBP, and hold down the option ( apple) key so i can choose which OS to boot into the computer just sits there for a few mins and then boots into Mac OS. what am i doing wrong here?

2. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Try going into your system prefrences then select start-up disk. Once you click on start-up dick, select "windows" them click restart.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You may not be pressing the correct key. There are three keys:

- Control

- Alt/Option

- Apple/Command

You need to press and hold the Alt/Option key during booting to see the HDs/Partitions that you can boot from. After the icons appear, select the one that you want to boot from.

4. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

booting into one os, just to change the default OS and rebooting into the other os is not an option for me! think im pressing the wrong key. thanks.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So were you able to select which partition to boot into via pressig the Alt/Option key?

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Does this work when using the bluetooth keyboard?

7. praetorian909 macrumors regular

I just tried with a bluetooth keyboard (with a late 2009 iMac) and it didn't seem to register. Then I tried with a PC USB keyboard and that worked right away...

UPDATE: Actually, I tried again with the bluetooth keyboard and it does indeed work. I must've pressed it too early the first time, but it worked when I held down the option key right after pressing the power button. I knew it had to work, otherwise that would have been a very surprising oversight (and be very un-Apple).