sngraphics

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I cannot clean install MAC OSX 10.11 on my 2009 Mac Book Pro.

I need to repurpose this older MBP for someone else here.

I have tried a few different ways as listed below:
  • Installed starting from 10.6 and kept installing each subsequent system until I reached 10.10 but when I tried 10.11 no luck.
  • tried from an external drive that had the 10.11 installer
  • tried using DiskMaker X Pro
  • Tried form the recovery partition, re-downloading the OS directly. It looked this was working because it took a while for it to download and install. No luck.
  • I WAS able to clone my own 10.11 volume from my MacPro to this MBP but of course that was not the final result I was intending because I need a clean/new system not a copy of my own.
  • I even tried to install 10.11 using my 2009 MacPro Tower on an extra drive I have here.
I tried all of these attempts more than once with the same result.

I have provided a screen shot of the message that comes up everytime I try and fail.

Any info would be much appreciated.
I have been fighting with this on/off for a couple of months now and I am completely baffled with why this will not work.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4736r.jpg
    IMG_4736r.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 406

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Have you tried downloading a fresh copy of El Capitan from Apple?

See Steps 4-6:

Comment

sngraphics

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Have you tried downloading a fresh copy of El Capitan from Apple?

See Steps 4-6:

OK. Thanks.
I am downloading now.
I believe I have tried the step already a couple of times but won't hurt one more time.

Does an OS have to be installed already for this to work?
Right now I will be trying to install this on a drive/partition that has been wiped.

I have tried both ways.
Installing starting with 10.6 and working my way up to 10.10 before failing at 10.11
AND on a fresh drive/partition.

Also I have made a bootable install drive/partition using DiskMaker Pro with still no success.

Comment

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
OK. Thanks.
I am downloading now.
I believe I have tried the step already a couple of times but won't hurt one more time.

Does an OS have to be installed already for this to work?
Right now I will be trying to install this on a drive/partition that has been wiped.

I have tried both ways.
Installing starting with 10.6 and working my way up to 10.10 before failing at 10.11
AND on a fresh drive/partition.

Also I have made a bootable install drive/partition using DiskMaker Pro with still no success.
Read and follow Steps 4, 5 & 6 carefully of the linked Apple instructions.
Key items of the Steps;
Step 4: "A file named InstallMacOSX.dmg will download to your Mac"
Step 5: "double-click the file within, named InstallMacOSX.pkg"
Step 6: "open the Applications folder on your Mac, then double-click the file named Install OS X El Capitan"

In order to follow the process a OS has to be installed. Once you get the "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the Applications folder then you can use the install app to make a bootable USB installer or launch the "Install OS X El Capitan.app" to do the install (Note: the "Install OS X El Capitan.app" will automatically be deleted once it is run from the Applications folder, so it is a good idea to save the "Install OS X El Capitan.app" on another disk before running the installer app).

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Here's the fix for that.
(assuming you have a bootable USB installer for El Capitan) Boot to your El Capitan installer.
At the menu screen - Open the terminal.
Type the command: date 1116211618
Press enter to run that command. (This changes the system date)
Quit Terminal to return to the main menu.
Install OS X. (It will install - without that error!)

Last edited:
Comment

sngraphics

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Here's the fix for that.
(assuming you have a bootable USB installer for El Capitan) Boot to your El Capitan installer.
At the menu screen - Open the terminal.
Type the command: date 1116211618
Press enter to run that command. (This changes the system date)
Quit Terminal to return to the main menu.
Install OS X. (It will install - without that error!)

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN FOR THE PAST 3 MONTHS!!!

The OS installed immediately, perfectly, wonderfully!!!.

Is it possible to bother you for a little explanation of why this little
trick worked after I almost lost my sanity trying everything else?

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That trick has been around on a variety of threads on this site for at least a couple of years.
- why does it work?
The installer certificate expired some time ago.
The terminal command resets the date on your system to an earlier date - which allows the installer to do its job. Doesn't have to be exactly that date, others that do the trick are posted elsewhere, that one works for me.
After the install, you do need to check that the time reset itself (and it should, by default, when you next connect to the internet.)
El Capitan happens to be one that needs that bit of adjustment of the system time. (Apple likely won't fix it). Might be another that will also respond to the date change, Sierra, I think.

Comment

sngraphics

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
That trick has been around on a variety of threads on this site for at least a couple of years.
- why does it work?
The installer certificate expired some time ago.
The terminal command resets the date on your system to an earlier date - which allows the installer to do its job. Doesn't have to be exactly that date, others that do the trick are posted elsewhere, that one works for me.
After the install, you do need to check that the time reset itself (and it should, by default, when you next connect to the internet.)
El Capitan happens to be one that needs that bit of adjustment of the system time. (Apple likely won't fix it). Might be another that will also respond to the date change, Sierra, I think.

Well, the answer may have been around for a while (and of course I missed it) but you answered.
Thank you very much for helping solve a head scratcher for me.

God Bless.

Comment

realmacit

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
I had same problem but had to change the date and added 6 months to the date DeltaMac specified above.

So what worked for me (from a fresh download from Apple today 2nd June '20) was to set the date to May 2019

0501010119 < this worked, anything before that would not work.

Hope that helps anyone with same problem in future.

Comment

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
Today, I was unable to make a clean install..
Got the Essencials.pkg error

Change the date didn't make the trick

Comment

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
Seems like the 3 gb RAM in my 2010 Macbook unibody was the issue

Put the hard drive into my 15" 2011 macbook pro, got the "this copy can´t be verified" error, but fix it connecting the mac to wifi and with "ntpdate -u time.apple.com"

Comment

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
I read this post

So, I guess that the "Essencials.pkg" error is a RAM amount related issue

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Could be, but I just installed El Capitan on a 2010 iMac with only 2GB RAM just last week. Installed successfully, but really slow. Did that while I was waiting for additional RAM to arrive, but the El Capitan system installed, despite very low RAM. It also needed the "date adjustment" before the install, but I often do that same install. Other than that, the install had no problems at all.
I think the thread that you posted is not very well-thought out, something else was happening on that one, as 14 GB of RAM should not be an issue for installing the system. That thread also mentioned that they had to use a modified installer to install on an unsupported system. You did not have that problem.
But, more RAM doesn't hurt anything, and I wouldn't suggest that more RAM wouldn't make installing a bit quicker (and it can make it install more quickly) I would definitely suggest that you add more RAM, if possible.

Comment

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
It is not about more or less RAM... I'm just guessing the 3gb (2+1) is the problem.

I have 2 identical 2010 macbook unibody and both got the same ""Essencials.pkg" error

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.