Cannot connect Mac Book Pro to Dell 3007WFP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chakotaco, Apr 7, 2008.

1. chakotaco macrumors newbie

hello.
    I am having a problem of connecting my Mac Book Pro (2.4 GH Intel Core Duo / Mac OS X Version 10.5.2) to Dell 30inch monitor 3007WFP.

The computer recognized the monitor and external keyboard, mouse, speaker attached to the 3007WFP works perfectly but it does not display anything.

When I purchased this monitor, it worked perfectly fine, but after using 2 months, I started to have this problem and now I am not able to use this big screen.

I have tried
    1) turn off my Mac Book Pro and connect the DVI cable and turn on the Mac Book Pro. >> failed
    2) while Mac Book Pro is on and connect DVI cable to monitor >> failed
    3) while connecting Mac Book Pro to 3007WFP via DVI cable, restart the Mac. >> failed

Based on looking at the system preference [DISPLAY], my Mac Book Pro clearly recognizes the 3007WFP and no matter what resolution I change, 3007WFP just don't show anything but completely black.

I appreciated in advance for your support and wisdom!

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Backlight on the monitor burn't out?

Have you used it on any other computer to verify it's the MBP and not the monitor?

If not I suggest trying that

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

This might sound dumb, but are you sure you are selecting the proper source on the monitor itself, on my 2407 I have 5 different sources, perhaps you should go from one to another and see if that might work...

4. heppy macrumors member

you could also try opening the display preferences and then clicking detect displays

5. chakotaco thread starter macrumors newbie

additional question

thankyou for all of your comment.

I have tried system preference and detect displays. My mac does recognize my monitor 3007WFP but it shows nothing. I can move some of my windows to the 3007WFP but I just can not see anything on the 3007WFP.

I have a question to 'skffx'. What is '5 different sources' ???
    thank you for your help.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Using the buttons at the bottom of the screen scroll between Analog, DVI-D (Digital)4 with HDCP, HDMI, S-Video, Component, Composite and see what happens.

7. chakotaco thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, however, i don't think 3007WFP has that button. there are only 3 buttons on the left bottom corner of the 3007WFP.
    [+] [-] [on/off]

8. zerohp macrumors member

Are you using the original dual-link DVI cable included by Dell? The one with the yellow tag?

I have both a 2407wfp and a 3007wfp. The 30" only has one input, so there is no source selector.

9. BoostFab macrumors newbie

10. zerohp macrumors member

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

One way to confirm if there's anything wrong with the monitor's backlight is to disconnect the dual link DVI cable and turn on the monitor. It should then cycle through a bunch of different colors.

12. chakotaco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.
    I have disconnected my DVI cable (original) and as soon as I do that, my monitor shows cycle of color. so I feel there is nothing wrong with my monitor, but rather something wrong with my mac ???