Cannot connect mac msn messenger but CAN connect in Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by czhe, Jun 10, 2007.

1. czhe macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help here. I'm in a school lab and can successfully connect to MSN Messenger in Windows XP but in Mac OS X 10.4.9 it doesn't seem to work. The error message complains about either service might be down or my internet connection has problems.

Is there something I must tweak around in Mac before MSN starts working? I'm completely new to Mac so thanks for any help!

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

there's no tweaks that I'm aware of. It does happen occasionally to me too. Just keep trying and eventually you get on.

3. PCRanger macrumors regular

I think the windows version tries to connect through HTTP as well, incase it's normal ports are closed off. I don't think the Mac version has this functionality yet. You could try using aMSN, as this has an option to connect via the HTTP protocol?

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've always had that problem with the OS X version of Msn Messenger.

It seems to be related to that program, because other alternatives for OS X work just fine. At the moment I'm using Adium, but there are others, namely Mercury Messenger and aMsn which support features more similar to the Windows variant.

5. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Maybe it can be that it lacks uPNP support aswell?

Just scrap MSN alltogether, worst im there is ;/