Cannot connect to a Secure WEP Network on iPod Touch G2???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kydan, Sep 20, 2008.

1. kydan macrumors newbie

I use a Linksys Wireless Router.

I originally had the security setup for WEP 128 bit security with a passphrase using the 1st Key.

However, when I try to setup the WEP on the iPod Touch all it asks for is the passphrase. I enter the passphrase, but no luck.

Do I have to enter in that long 128 bit generated key instead? U g h

Right now I have it in WPA2 Personal security and connect just fine.

Which is more secure?

Thanks!

Edit:
    Yeah so I got lazy, I typed in the long 128 bit generated key and that's all it needed.

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

WPA/WPA2 is considered more secure than WEP but WPA/WPA2 is not unhackable either.

As for WEP, it is as secure as strapping a bungie cord across your door. I've read numerous articles suggesting a 12 year old with wifi and free software can crack a WEP connection in a minute or two. All that's needed is a numerous amount of packets to intercept and analyze. I suggest you read up on this more. There are many articles to reference.

If you are using a wireless access point at home I suggest you segment your network, keeping your wireless traffic separate from your wired traffic. This can be done by using a hardware firewall running free software from Smoothwall or IPcop.

Most people don't go through that hassle, though. Their security suffers because of it.

3. coreyl macrumors newbie

:(

How would i find the code i need to enter for this? sounds like i have a similar problem- when i try to connect to the network its saying "cannot connect to ..." even though my password is completely correct :/

anyone for a walkthrough guide for me? Lol

Corey