Cannot connect to a specific web site

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pit29, Oct 5, 2010.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I can't connect to a certain web site - www.zenfolio.com. I am running 10.6.4, and all my browsers - Safari, Firefox, Chrome - don't open that site. I get the same connection error that I would get when I enter something in the address bar that does not exist.

Funny thing is: I can connect to Zenfolio from my iPod touch on the same router. So it should be a problem with my computer - but what could be wrong? No entries in "Proxies", and the hosts file looks innocent as well...

I'l totally appreciate any suggestions!

Pit

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try opening that site on another account (you can create one if you don't have one already). Have you tried rebooting? Reconnecting to the router? Reseting router and modem (just to troubleshoot, I know it work on your iTouch).

3. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

It doesn't work on the guest account, and also not on a new one I just created. Rebooting, restarting the router, reconnecting, and flushing the DNS cache with dscacheutil -flushcache does not solve this.

4. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

I've had issues like this before, could you try using another browsing client to access it.

5. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Which one do you recommend? I tried Safari, Firefox, and Chrome (see post #1)...

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, weird. All other sites work okay though? You could try repairing permissions with Disk Utility, I doubt that will help but I don't have anything else to recommend :(

P.S. I asked Alfihar to check out this thread (through MR IRC), he knows a lot about networking. Hopefully he can help you better than I can :)

EDIT: Try connecting to Zenfolio's IP address (http://184.105.196.161/)

7. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Zenfolio is the only page that happens on that I'm aware of (incidently, through MacRumors Picture of the Day thread). I repaired permissions as well...

Thanks, Hellhammer and DouchGod - this and the MBP-doesn't-sleep are really the only issues I ever had (and I've used Macs since '95). Wired now they're both there at the same time.

EDIT: "no connection" to 184.105.196.161 as well. Meh.

8. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Just noticed that I have no trouble doing "ping" to zenfolio (either zenfolio.com, or 184.105.196.161), but not "trace".
    I can also access forums.zenfolio.com.

Any suggestions? I'd be so so grateful!

9. bvempty macrumors newbie