Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.incognito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Hey all, I'm having difficulty connecting to the App Store after updating my 2009 iMac to ML (from SL). The purchasing side of App Store works OK (I haven't actually bought anything, but I did download a free app to check), but I can't connect to Software Update or Purchases b/c it says I am "unable to connect to the internet." However, everything else connects fine (Safari, Chrome, Steam, MS Office, etc). I also get the same "not connected" message when I try to connect to iMessage, but iTunes and the other iCloud services (Reminders, Notes, etc) connect fine.

Additional info: I downloaded ML on my MBP (from Lion) and installed from a USB stick. MBP install is fine; everything connects as it should. After the MBP install, I upgraded the iMac and while the install itself is fine (no error messages), I haven't been able to connect to Apple's servers. I'm not sure if this matters, but at the time of the install on the iMac, the only user account was my wife's (linked to her Apple ID); I have since added a new user acct w/ my Apple ID (same as on my MBP, and linked to the ML purchase). I get the same "not connected" message for both user accounts.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but Diablo III doesn't work thru the new user account - it times out while loading (but works fine if launched thru the user account where it was originally installed in SL). I'm not necessarily looking for help for that here though, I'm just noting it in case it's indicative of the internet connection issue.

I am debating a clean install on the iMac, but my wife hasn't really kept things organized and there is crap everywhere so I'm sure I'd lose a few things. But if that's what I have to do, well I guess that's why I have TM (I of course did a full backup prior to ML). *shrug*

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

mr.incognito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Downloaded it through App Store on my MBP and then installed via USB key on both Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.