Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wteaocb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
This is the second time that I've posted this, but I haven't gotten any replies so...

I'm trying to use SSH to transfer files to my iphone from a PC. The iphone is wirelessly connected to the internet via a router, and the PC is directly connected to that router. They are, therefore, on the same network, right? However, when I start the client and attempt to connect to the iphone through the browser or SFTP client on my PC, the connection times out. As both the phone and the PC are connected to the router, shouldn't I be able to connect to the phone and transfer files?

I have all necessary plugins and utilities installed on the iphone, and I know that SSH transfer works because I use it with my macbook over the wireless network at my home. The only difference between the PC that I am trying to use and my macbook, is that the macbook is wirelessly connected while the PC has no wireless card and is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable.

If anyone could help me solve this problem, or knows of another way that I could transfer files to and from the iphone to this PC, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
wteaocb

Thanks,
wteaocb

wteaocb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
try plugging it into the pc and try again

Can you clarify? Exactly what should I try plugging into the PC?
Remember, I'm trying to perform an SSH file transfer via a wireless network to which both the PC and the iPhone are connected (though the PC is directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable as it has no wireless network card), but the connection keeps timing out.

My questions were:

1) Why is this happening? Is it because the PC cannot find the iPhone on the network because the PC is not wirelessly connected, rather connected directly to the wireless router via ethernet cable?

2) Is there a way to fix this? Can I send and receive files to and from my iPhone without having to be on the same wireless network? Or is there something else that I have overlooked?

Chizzled

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
When I first tried to SSH, I had problems too. Make sure that your phone is on and not in sleep or standby mode. Easiest way is to turn Auto-Lock to 'Never' until you are done SSHing. If your phone goes into stanby or whatever its called when your screen turn black, it loses its connection.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.