Cannot connect to Sonos system after update to tvOS/iOS 12

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stillcrazyman, Sep 19, 2018.

1. stillcrazyman macrumors 68000

stillcrazyman

My Sonos Beam and speakers playing through the AppleTV were working before I updated the AppleTV to tvOS 12, and the iPhone / iPad to iOS 12.
    I frequently streamed from my iPhone, iPad and older iMac without any problem. I use Sonos as a sound system for my AppleTV. That was working fine before the update as well. I can only play to Sonos via the Sonos app. If I try to play through the ATV or the iPhone / iPad, I get a message that it won't connect to the "Living Room". I've only restarted the iOS devices.

Other than some simple troubleshooting, I am trying to understand why this has happened. My wi-fi has not changed. I suspect some sort of issue with the new iOS/tvOS of course.

I may have to reset my whole Sonos system and start over (not a problem for me).

Just looking for some input if anyone else has similar problems.

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Strange as just yesterday before updating to (4th gen) Apple TV to TVOS 12, I was having an issue where it didn't seem to want to play music through my Sonos Beam (it hadn't ever done that before). It was still on 11.4.1 as the automatic update hadn't pushed through yet, so I manually updated it to 12.0 and it seems to have fixed the problem. Maybe just try resetting your wireless router (if you haven't already) to see if that helps before resorting to re-setting up your Sonos system.

3. stillcrazyman thread starter macrumors 68000

stillcrazyman

I just reset the router. That didn’t change anything. It didn’t occur to me to restart the Sonos system. Derp ;)

Now I’m back to 5.1 DD surround sound on the AppleTV 4K.

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Good call... it's usually just a matter of turning something off and then on again. :D